Strawberry Pesto Skillet Pizza. Homemade pizza crust cooked in a cast iron skillet. Topped with pesto, sweet Italian chicken sausage, strawberries, basil, mozzarella, and balsamic reduction. You will never purchase another pizza crust.
Recently, I saw a photo of some peaches on top of a pizza. I don’t care for pineapple on pizza, so I assumed I wouldn’t care for any fruit on pizza, and dismissed it. But despite that initial dismissal, I couldn’t stop thinking about it … I was intrigued.
I mean plan each week, but last week my family went through meals quicker than I had anticipated. At the end of the week I stood in front of my refrigerator trying to figure out what I could make for dinner. I saw some strawberries that were on the verge of going bad. I remembered the pizza with the peaches, and I knew what had to be done. Those strawberries needed to go on a pizza with some pesto.
First thing was the crust. I didn’t have any pre-made pizza crust, but I did have some yeast packets, so I threw together a quick crust to bake in a skillet beacuse A) skillets look pretty in pictures and B) everything tastes better in a skillet.
Then, I covered that crust with some pesto, strawberries, sweet Italian chicken sausage, and mozzarella. After it baked, I threw on some fresh basil and knew it needed something else …. balsamic reduction. I did not have balsamic reduction, but I did have balsamic vinegar. So, I simmered that balsamic for a little bit until it turned into balsamic reduction. Honest side note on the balsamic … the first time I simmered it for about 20 minutes, until it looked thick in the pot. By the time it cooled, it was the consistency of tar and I couldn’t do anything with it. The second time I simmered it for about 10 minutes, and by the time it cooled, it was perfect.
This pizza was literally made with things I had laying around my kitchen and freezer. It was quick, easy, and delicious. My husband had leftover Greek Chicken over Orzo Lentil Salad this night, so my kids and I ate the pizza. Both of my kids and I loved this thing. It was unique, delicious, and just fun. I promise this pizza crust will be returning in different ways soon.
Strawberry Pesto Skillet Pizza
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/4 ounce packet instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/3 cup pesto
- 2 links sweet Italian chicken sausage
- 5 large strawberries cut into small slices
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ~1/4 cup fresh basil
- Balsamic reduction
- In a small bowl, combine warm water, yeast, and sugar. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add flour, salt, olive oil and Italian seasoning. Use a mixer with dough hook and beat until dough turns into a ball.
- Grease inside of a small bowl. Roll ball of dough in bowl. Cover with dish towel and let rise for 1 hour.
- After the hour, punch down dough and kneed 5-6 times. Cut dough in half. You can freeze or refrigerate other half of dough if not making two pizzas.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spread dough from side to side in the bottom of a cast iron skillet.
- Spread pesto over dough.
- Place strawberries even on top of pesto.
- In a small pan over medium-high heat, brown chicken sausage. Spread the cooked chicken evenly over the pizza.
- Follow with mozzarella cheese.
- Place skillet and oven and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until crust is golden and cheese is melted.
- Spread fresh basil and drizzle balsamic reduction over top of pizza.
If you enjoyed this Strawberry Pesto Skillet Pizza, you should check out these other SugarSpicesLife recipes: