Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Turkey. Turkey breast stuffed with sauteed spinach and Havarti cheese. Wrapped in bacon and then cooked to a perfect crisp.
I made this recipe and took the photographs a couple of months ago. However, I was not pleased with the photos. Daylight savings had just changed, making it get dark earlier than I was used to. So, I was beginning to have to rely more on artificial light for photographing food in the evening. This was one of my first attempts, and not the look I was trying to achieve.
Photography vs. Taste
A few years ago I discovered SkinnyTaste and have since made about half of the recipes on her website. I remember reading a post where she said she was going back to prior recipes to retake the associated photos. I remember thinking, “That sounds like a waste of time, no one cares! We just want to know how to make dinner better!”
I was just thinking about what recipe to share tonight, and at first wasn’t going to use this one because of the photos; but then I remembered how I felt about food photography as a blog reader (rather than author), and changed my mind. Taste>photos.
Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Turkey
Turkey is one of those things I can take or leave. Too often, it’s too dry and not flavorful enough for my taste. But this bacon wrapped stuffed turkey recipe ensures that it is not either of those things. By wrapping it in bacon, the outside of the turkey stays tender and juicy. And with the Havarti cheese and spinach filling, the inside is full of flavor.
This bacon wrapped stuffed turkey is perfect for a weeknight dinner as it only takes about 15 minutes to put together. And, since it uses turkey breasts and spinach, you can feel totally fine about eating the bacon!
Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Turkey
- 24 ounces turkey breast two large breasts
- 5 slices applewood smoked bacon
- 2 tbsp butter divided
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 ounces fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 ounces sliced Havarti cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small skillet, melt 1 tbsp butter over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until for about 60 seconds, or until browned and fragrant. Set garlic/butter mixture aside.
- Melt another tbsp of butter in skillet. Add spinach, parsley, salt, and lemon juice. Saute until spinach is wilted, about 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Cut a horizontal slice in each turkey breast, about 3/4 of the way through.
- Line up bacon slices side by side on a working surface (a cutting board works well). Place each breast of turkey on the bacon so that the thin sides of the breasts come together to make a large rectangle (when you do this, the cuts you made will open in opposite direction).
- Open turkey and brush garlic/butter mixture over insides of breasts. Fill insides with spinach and sliced Havarti cheese. Close turkey breasts (the closings will come toward each other and it will appear to be one long breast). Fold the bacon seal around the turkey.
- Place wrapped turkey with sealed bacon side down in a 9×13 or other small casserole dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until thermometer inserted into thickest part of turkey reads 165 degrees. Turn on broiler and broil for 2-3 minutes, or until bacon is browned and appears crispy. Carefully flip turkey and broil other side of turkey for another 2-3 minutes.
- Let turkey for at least 10 minutes before cutting.
If you enjoyed this Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Turkey Breast, you’ll probably enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes:
Amazon links to items used to make this recipe: