This Baked Macaroni and Cheese is the perfect side dish, but is so delicious that it can stand on its own! Easy to make and full of cheesy, creamy noodles!
Learning to Cook
In college my roommates and I would take turns cooking for each other in an effort to learn our way around a kitchen. We each had a box of our family recipes that we would try out on each other. I had several recipes from my grandmother but they were not always written in exact in proportion(s), which was problematic for a college student learning to cook.
One day I tried to make my grandmother’s macaroni and cheese. The recipe said things like “get the biggest box of noodles” and “pour milk until you can see it”. I took those particular two things literally, and ended up with a giant mess. It actually resulted in me receiving a fine from my apartment building….
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
After my initial disappointment with the macaroni and cheese, I asked my mom about the exact proportions, and redeemed myself the next time I made it. My grandmother’s baked version was the macaroni and cheese I grew up eating, so has long been my gold standard.
Over time, my tastes have changed and I’ve found new things I that enjoy, so I have tweaked her recipe to make my current gold standard baked macaroni and cheese. This recipe is easy to make and delicious!
Here are a few notes regarding this recipe:
- As the eggs are cooked in the sauce, you actually don’t have to bake it. If you like a very creamy macaroni, and not baked, then just don’t put the cheese on top and don’t bake it!
- You can use any cheese you prefer for the top layer. I grew up with sliced cheese melted on top, so I love the look, taste, and texture of sliced cheddar. However, you can use shredded cheese of any variety if you prefer.
- As my kids like macaroni and cheese for a meal, I have stirred in different meats or vegetables before baking to make it a main course.
- When mixing in the eggs, you want to do it very slowly to avoid ending up with scrambled egg bits.
This Baked Macaroni and Cheese is the perfect side dish, but is so delicious that it can stand alone on it’s own! Easy to make and full of cheesy, creamy noodles!
- 16 ounces dried macaroni noodles
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 slices sharp cheddar cheese about 4 ounces
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter bottoms and sides of a 9×13 or similar sized baking dish.
Cook macaroni noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
In a medium sized sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter. Whisk in flour. Next whisk in milk. Cook until mixture thickens (close to the consistency of glue), about 5 minutes.
Place eggs in a small bowl and whisk well. Then, very slowly whisk about ½ cup of the butter & milk mixture into the eggs. Once well mixed, slowly pour the mixture back into the pot while continuously whisking. Stir in shredded cheddar, pepper, seasoned salt, and salt.
In a large bowl, stir together noodles and cheese mixture. Pour into prepared baking dish.
Cover top of dish with the cheddar slices.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
If you enjoyed this Baked Macaroni and Cheese, you might also enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes:
Links to items used to make this recipe: