Baked Blueberry Cake Donuts
Baked Blueberry Cake Donuts. Soft, delicious donuts filled with blueberries and topped with a sweet blueberry gaze. A healthier, and tastier take on donuts.
Servings: 20 donuts
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 1/3 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray donut pan with baking spray.
In large bowl or base of a stand mixer, beat together butter, sugar, and brown sugar until smooth, about 3 minutes. Then beat in eggs, one at a time.
Stir together flour, cornstarch, almond flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Gradually beat into butter mixture. Once well combined, beat in milk and beat until smooth. Finally, stir in frozen blueberries.
Fill prepared donut pan slots 2/3 of the way full.
Bake for 15 minutes, or until toothpick placed into center of one of the middle donuts comes out with just a few crumbs. Note: You may need to adjust cooking time depending on the size and depth of your donut pans.
In a small pot over medium-high heat, stir together blueberries and sugar. Continue stirring, smashing with the spoon as you stir, until blueberries are mostly liquid. Stain cooked mixture. You will end up with about 1/4 cup of blueberry juice.
In a shallow bowl, stir together powdered sugar and 2-3 tbsp of the blueberry juice, until desired consistency is reached.
Once donuts have cooled, remove from pans. Dip tops of each donut in glaze. Decorate with sprinkles if desired.
- Depending on the size of your donut pans, the recipe may make more or less than 20 donuts. I used 3" donut pans.
- Glaze the donuts just before serving. After being glazed, they will taste great for several days, but after about a day they start to look weird as the glaze will absorb into the donut.
Calories: 183kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 29mg | Sodium: 72mg | Potassium: 84mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 195IU | Vitamin C: 1.8mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 0.7mg