Jamaican Curry Chicken and Coconut Rice (Instant Pot). Tender, shredded chicken seasoned with curry and all spice, and served over coconut rice. Easy to make and full of amazing flavors.
My husband and I went to Jamaica for our honeymoon. We liked it so much that we went back three more times after that. The people are friendly, the island is BEAUTIFUL (see pic below from our last trip), and the food is amazing.
I’ve had Jamaica on my mind a lot recently. I want to go back right now. Sitting on the beach with a Jamaican Smile in my hand sounds perfect! A trip back is not in the cards for the immediate future. BUT, I can bring a little taste of Jamaica to my kitchen.
The first thing that pops into my mind when I think of Jamaican food is jerk chicken. That stuff is good. But there are quite a few other delicious things, such as Jamaican curry. I wasn’t quite sure what was in Jamaican curry, so I had to do a bit of research. I found this article that does a great job of summing it up.
I used the information I read in that article, along with my memories of food from our trips to come up with a Jamaican curry recipe. I put it on some chicken, threw it in my Instant Pot, and served it over some coconut rice. I’m not sure if this recipe qualifies as legit Jamaican food, but it turned out pretty darn delicious, and everyone in my house was full and happy after eating it!
Jamaican Curry Chicken and Coconut Rice (Instant Pot)
- 1.5 pounds chicken breast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon all spice
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1, 13.6 ounce can coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat olive oil in Instant Pot on saute mode. Add onion and green pepper. Saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside. Turn off heat.
- Add curry powder and cumin to pot. Stir for about 30 seconds (pot will still be hot and spices will become fragrant). Then, stir in thyme, garlic, salt, lime juice, chili powder, all spice, and chicken broth.
- Add chicken to pot. If you don't mind the vegetables being very soft, you can stir them in at this point as well. However, if you don't want them too soft, wait and stir them in after the chicken is cooked. Cover and cook on high for 11 minutes. Let natural release for 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Return to pot and stir peppers and onions if you haven't already done so.
- In a medium sized pot, bring water, coconut milk and salt to a boil. Once boiling in stir in rice, cover, and reduce to simmer. Let simmer for 15 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
- Serve chicken over rice.
If you enjoyed this Jamaican Curry Chicken and Coconut Rice, you should check out these other SugarSpicesLife recipes: