Chickpeas roasted in the oven and then tossed with lemon juice, a homemade spice mix, and parsley. These Spicy Roasted Chickpeas are a wonderful appetizer or snack!
I’ve mentioned before that my husband and I love to make themed dinners! And when I say that, I mean we both love to cook, and I get excited about a theme. He couldn’t care less about a theme. (**Editor’s note: this is accurate**)
Anyhow, a couple months ago we had two friends over for dinner, and I believe the theme was mediterranean. I could be wrong, I don’t entirely remember. BUT, whatever the theme, roasted chickpeas seemed like a perfect accompaniment to the meal.
Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
Dried versus Canned Chickpeas
When making this recipe, I wanted to experiment with both canned and dried chickpeas. I assumed that the more involved process of using dried chickpeas would make them tastier. Wrong.
To use dried chickpeas, you soak them in water for 8-12 hours, rinse them, let them dry, and then remove the skins.
For the canned chickpeas, you simply run cold water over them, let them dry for about an hour, and then remove the skins.
Ease: Neither are difficult to make, but I do find it’s slightly easier to remove the skins from the canned chickpeas.
Taste: In a blind taste test among my friends, canned chickpeas won every time. Given that they are smaller, they turned out crisper than their dried counterparts, and there is a better ratio of spice to chickpea.
Top bowl: Dried chickpeas
Bottom bowl: Canned chickpeas
The spice mix for this has a medium spice level – a little bit of a kick but not enough to burn your mouth. My kids ate a few, then said they were too spicy. My friends loved them.
The mix uses:
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
Although the mix only uses 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne, if you want them less spicy, you can leave it out.
Cooking and Serving
To cook these chickpeas, you toss them with 1/4 cup olive oil, spread them onto a baking sheet, bake at 400 degrees, tossing every 10 minutes until they are browned and crispy (this takes 30-40 minutes).
Once they come out of the oven, toss them with 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice, the spice mix, and 2 tablespoons of parsley. Delicious!
These Spicy Roasted Chickpeas are a perfect appetizer or snack!
Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place chickpeas in a strainer and run cold water over them for several minutes. Then, pinch off any of the skins that come off easily.
- Transfer chickpeas to a surface covered with a few paper towels. Let sit for 1-2 hours, or until dry.
- Remove remaining skins by rolling them gently over the paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss chickpeas with olive oil and spread out on a 9×13 or similar sized rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, then toss the chickpeas. Let bake for an additional 10-12 minutes, or until chickpeas have browned.
- While chickpeas are cooking, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, salt, cumin, paprika, sugar, and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
- Remove from oven and toss with lemon juice. Then, while still warm, toss with spice mixture. Stir in parsley before serving.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
If you enjoyed these Spicy Roasted Chickpeas, you may also enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes: