Chocolate Cupcakes with Milka Oreo Ganache Filling & Buttercream Frosting
When I was in 3rd grade, my family had an exchange student who brought us boxes of Milka chocolate bars. Even at 8 years old I remember thinking that Europe knew what it was doing when it came to chocolate. Since then, I have felt strongly that there are few chocolates which can compare to Milka. So recently, when my friend Hannah told me about this Milka Oreo candy bar she was ‘paid to eat’, I was like “What?! Since when have Milka and Oreo been a thing?? Where do I get this?! And how do I get paid to eat candy?!” As it turns out, the candy bar had just come to the grocery store down the road from my house, and Hannah has two coupon apps that both gave her money toward the candy bar. I didn’t get the coupon apps, but I did immediately go to the store, buy the bar, eat it, and start thinking of more ways to incorporate it into my life. And I decided that cupcakes were the answer. So I present you with chocolate cupcakes with a Milka Oreo candy bar ganache filling and Milk Oreo chocolate buttercream frosting. Enjoy!
Side note: From my above post it would seem that I’m working for Oreo … I’m not … I just like Milka that much.
Chocolate Cupcakes with Milka Oreo Ganache Filling & Buttercream FrostingPrint
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chopped
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup strong hot coffee
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs
Ganache Filling Ingredients
- 1 Milka Oreo candy bars
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Milka Oreo candy bars
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 4-6 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
- In heat proof bowl, pour coffee over cocoa and chopped chocolate. Let sit for 2-3 minutes, then whisk together. Set aside.
- In mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Once mixed, add in chocolate/coffee mixture, oil, sugar, vanilla, buttermilk, and eggs. Beat until combined. Batter will be very thin. Do not over mix.
- Fill cupcake lines 2/3 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes until toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs. Do not over bake.
- Place Milka Oreo candy bar and chocolate chips in a heat proof bowl.
- Put heavy cream in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high until cream starts to boil, about 45 seconds.
- Pour heavy cream over chocolate & candy and cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, whisk until smooth and let sit for 2-3 minutes before using.
- Melt Milka Oreo bars in small pot on stove over low heat. Stir frequently. Once melted, remove from heat to cool.
- Use mixer to beat butter until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Beat in powdered sugar 1/2 cup a time, scraping down sides as needed.
- Add vanilla and salt.
- Mix in cooled candy bars.
- Mix in cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency reached.
- Remove centers of cupcake. I use this cupcake corer (Amazon affiliate link) from Wilton, but you can also use a small spoon or knife to core out a 3/4 inch area about 1/2 down through the cupcake.
- Fill cupcake centers with ganache.
- Top cupcakes with frosting.
- If desired, grate bar, and dust over cupcakes.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
This makes my tummy smile!