Brown Butter Sea Salt Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies. Soft, brown butter cookies with sea salt, caramel, and chocolate chips. The perfect cookie!
As I have mentioned before, I LOVE dessert, but my husband does not. However, he does like cookies. So, whenever I’m wanting some dessert around the house, I like to make cookies since I can say “look what I made for your lunches this week!”, all the while knowing that wasn’t why I really made them.
Today was one of those days that I wanted some cookies. Well, that and now that I’m writing a blog about cooking, I suppose I have to make a point of actually cooking and photographing it. Plus, cookies work really well as bribes for my son … “if you use the potty all day today, you can have a cookie!”
But back to making the cookies …. a few years ago I made a cake that used brown butter. It was probably the most delicious thing I had ever tasted. I was angry that no one had ever told me about browning butter before. I realized that I had just opened a door to make dessert and any other food with butter even more delicious! Last Christmas I made some caramel and chocolate chips cookies that were good, but I thought today, “I can make them even better.” So, I browned some butter, changed some things here and there, and voila! These sea salt caramel chocolate chip cookies are amazing. Really amazing.
For most drop cookies, I strongly believe in using an air bake cookie sheet, silicone baking mat, and cookie scoop. The air bake sheet helps the bottoms not to brown too much (it seriously makes cookies all the softer and better), the mats also help not to brown the bottoms and make it easier to remove the cookies, and the scoop makes it easy to have equally sized and round cookies.
Brown Butter Sea Salt Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup of unsalted butter 2 sticks
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar gently packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips plus 2 tablespoons
- 3/4 cup caramel chips plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Melt butter in small sauce pan over medium heat. Stir constantly until butter turns amber in color and has a nutty smell, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Transfer to dish and place in fridge until butter thickens through, at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- After butter has thickened, use mixer to beat butter until light and fluffy.
- Add milk, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla extra to butter. Mix under smooth.
- In medium sized bowl, stir together flour, salt, baking soda, and cornstarch.
- Slow beat flour mixture into butter mixture.
- Stir in 3/4 cup of caramel chips and 3/4 cup of chocolate chips.
- Optional: Refrigerate for 1-2 hours. If you do, your cookies will be a bit thicker. I personally prefer more flat cookies.
- Scoop dough onto 1 inch balls on prepared sheet. Place a few chips into the top of each ball of dough (this makes them look pretty after they've baked).
- Sprinkle a tiny pinch of sea salt on top of each cookie (1/4 teaspoon is all you will need for ALL the cookies).
- Bake for 11-13 minutes, or until tops are golden.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
If you enjoyed these Brown Butter Sea Salt Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies, you should check out these other SugarSpicesLife recipes: