Triple Chocolate Cookies. Fudgy, chocolate cookies made with melted Baker’s chocolate, cocoa powder, dark chocolate chips, and chocolate chunks. A chocolate lover’s dream!
Several years ago I worked in southern Pennsylvania, about an hour away from my home. During lunch, I didn’t have time to drive home, didn’t know anyone in the area, and didn’t know where to go. So, I’d often go walk laps around the grocery store … seeing that in print makes me realize that might not be the most normal thing, but that’s okay, I liked it.
There was one particular grocery store that had a nice bakery section – so it was obviously my favorite grocery store to walk. One day the bakery had these tasty looking Dutch Chocolate Cookies. I bought a container, ate every single last one of them, and decided they were the best cookies I had eaten to date. I started getting them every week and having them as my afternoon snack.
Years later, when I started working closer to home, I missed those cookies and thought of them often. I looked for a replacement, but could not find an acceptable alternative. So, I tried to make them. I made multiple batches and never could get the taste I was looking for …. until last week….
Last weekend I wrote the German Chocolate Cake post, where I mentioned that I had never eaten German chocolate cake before I made that particular one. When I made it, I realized I that not only I had I not eaten German chocolate cake, but I hadn’t had Baker’s chocolate. When I made the cake and tasted the melted Baker’s chocolate, I immediately thought, “Eureka! THIS is the taste of those Dutch Cookies!!”
Let me tell you, those Baker people know what they are doing when it comes to chocolate. I knew I needed to get more of these people’s chocolate in my life asap, so, that’s what I did! I came up with these triple chocolate cookies that use the Baker’s chocolate both melted and chopped. If you like chocolate, these will not disappoint!
Triple Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 6 ounces Baker's semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 cup Hershey dark chocolate chips plus 1/4 cup
- Microwave 4 ounces of the Baker's semi-sweet chocolate in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until smooth. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, beat together butter, sugar, and brown sugar until light. About 3 minutes.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla extract until just combined, scraping down sides with spatula as needed.
- Mix in melted chocolate until combined.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, corn start, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder.
- Beat flour mixture into butter/sugar mixture 1/2 cup at a time, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Chop 2 ounces of the Baker's semi-sweet chocolate. Stir chopped chocolate along with 1 cup of chocolate chips into dough.
- Place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Once ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets (I prefer air bake sheets for cookies) with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Scoop dough about 1 tbsp at a time onto prepared baking sheet. Place cookies about 2 inches apart.
- Gently press down dough just a pit and place 2-3 dark chocolate chips into top of dough (this makes for pretty cookies).
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet for 1-2 minutes and then move to cooling rack to finish cooling.
If you enjoyed these Triple Chocolate Cookies, you might also like these other SugarSpicesLife recipes:
Thing I used to make this recipe and recommend:
Air Bake Cookie Sheets If you don’t have these, you need them. They help bake cookies perfectly – I tend to burn the bottoms on other sheets.
Silicone Baking Mat If you don’t have these, get them. They’ll save you money on parchment paper in the long run. I use them for almost anything I’m cooking in the oven since they clean so easily.