These Crispy Top Fudgy Brownies are soft and fudgy with a crispy, sweet top. Baked in parchment paper so that even the sides are soft and chewy. Addictively delicious.
My husband doesn’t care for most desserts, with the exception of brownies. So, I make brownies on a regular basis since I want to be a sweet wife (read between the lines: I like dessert and it’s a great excuse to have more dessert around).
I have made him multiple homemade brownies …. a friend’s family recipe, a brownie pudding, caramel brownies, Nutella brownies …. he hasn’t liked any of them. He has said things like, “too much chocolate”, “too much sugar”, or “not my favorite”. My husband is a boxed brownie fan. To him, that’s the gold standard to which nothing can be matched.
Crispy Top Fudgy Brownies
On my mission to make a brownie that he would like, I made these tasty little confections. Recently I took them to a cookout and had several people tell me that these were some of the best brownies they had ever eaten, and ask me for the recipe.
Let me tell you about how to make these brownies so special:
Crispy Tops on Brownies
The trick to making the top crispy is to beat the eggs and sugar until they are thick, and a light yellow color. Trust me on this. The top turns out to be a crunchy, sweet sensation.
My husband and I do not care vor typical brownie edges, so these are baked at 325 with parchment paper. This way, the edges stay nice and soft. If you’re in the ‘I like more edges’ camp of brownie lovers though, don’t use the parchment paper.
There are several tricks that make these extra fudgy.
First, I only use 1/4 teaspoon of levaner (baking powder). This means that they rise a tiny bit, but are mostly fudgy.
Second, I use more cocoa powder than flour. This makes them extra chocolaty.
Well friends, full disclosure here, my husband said he still prefers boxed brownies …. fail for him, but win for me because these things are amazing.
I adore the crispy, sugary top and fudgy bottom! They remind me of Brownie Pudding in the form of a brownie. They are delicious and a fun twist to a brownie!
7/3/20: This recipe has become quite a hit in person and on my website, so I have updated it with new photos, and made a few tweaks to the recipe that make the brownies thicker and fudgier, while still have a crispy, crunchy top, and therefore being all around amazing.
Crispy Top Fudgy Brownies
- 3/4 cup butter melted, then cooled so that it is no longer hot, but is still liquid
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 9×9 pan with parchment paper so that the paper is coming up over the sides.
- Melt the butter, then allow it to cool so that it is no longer hot, but is still liquid. I usually melt the butter first, then place it in the freezer while I'm working on everything else.
- Add the eggs and sugar to a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Beat until the mixture is light yellow and thick, about 5-7 minutes.
- Mix in the vanilla until just combined.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder.
- On low speed, slowly mix flour mixture into egg mixture until just combined.
- Then, still on low speed, slowly pour in cooled butter until just combined.
- Spread evenly in prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 30-32 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of pan comes out with just a few crumbs. Do not over bake.
- Allow to cool in pan for 2 minutes, then use parchment paper to lift brownies out of pan and let cool on rack.
If you enjoyed these Crispy Top Fudgy Brownies, you should check out these other SugarSpicesLife recipes:
Amazon items used to make these Crispy Top Fudgy Brownies: