Crispy Top Fudgy Brownies. These brownies are fudgy and soft with a tasty, crispy sweet top. Baked in parchment paper so that even the sides are soft and chewy.
My husband doesn’t care for most desserts, with the exception of brownies. So, I make brownies on a regular basis since I want to be a sweet wife (read between the lines: I like dessert and it’s a great excuse to have more dessert around).
I have made him multiple homemade brownies …. a friend’s family recipe, a brownie pudding, caramel brownies, Nutella brownies …. he hasn’t liked any of them. He has said things like, “too much chocolate”, “too much sugar”, or “not my favorite”. My husband is a boxed brownie fan. To him, that’s the gold standard to which nothing can be matched.
On my mission to make a brownie that he would like, I made these tasty little confections. Neither of us like typical brownie edges, so these are baked at 325 with parchment paper. That way the edges stay nice and soft. If you’re in the ‘I like more edges’ camp of brownie lovers, don’t use the parchment paper.
As my husband doesn’t like too much chocolate, or additions like chocolate chips or nuts, I used less cocoa power than might normally be used for brownies, and didn’t make any additions. And, since he sometimes like crispy things, I whipped the eggs and sugar so that the top would be nice and crispy. Well friends, he did not love them …. fail for him, but win for me because I think these things are amazing. I adore the crispy, sugary top and fudgy bottom! They remind me of Brownie Pudding in the form of a brownie. They are delicious and a fun twist to a brownie!
Crispy Top Fudgy Brownies
- 1/2 cup butter melted, then cooled
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 9x9 pan with parchment paper so that the paper is coming up over the sides.
- Melt the butter, then allow it to cool. I usually melt the butter first, then place it in the freezer while I'm working on everything else.
- Add the eggs and sugar to a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Beat until the mixture is light yellow and thick, about 5-7 minutes.
- Beat in the vanilla until just combined.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder.
- On low speed, slowly beat flour mixture into egg mixture until just combined.
- Then, still on low speed, slowly pour in cooled butter until just combined.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of pan comes out with just a few crumbs. Do not over bake.
- Allow to cool in pan for 2 minutes, then use parchment paper to lift brownies out of pan and let cool on rack.
If you enjoyed these Crispy Top Fudgy Brownies, you should try these other SugarSpicesLife recipes:
Amazon items used to make these Crispy Top Fudgy Brownies: