Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake. A giant, soft chocolate chip cookie that is the perfect combination of soft and chewy. Topped with buttercream to make it festive for any occasion!
When my son started preschool, one of his teachers told me that the kids always enjoy it when there is a big cookie cake for their birthdays. The first couple of years I purchased grocery store cookie cakes. I figured two and three year olds couldn’t care less if a cookie came from a store or home kitchen.
This year though, I decided to make him a cookie cake so that it would be exactly how wanted it: lots of chocolate chips, soft and chewy, and with blue frosting.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
Making a chocolate chip cookie was absolutely the right move. It was much cheaper and much tastier than the grocery store bought version. It took me a couple of tries to get it just right, so I want to give you a few tips:
First, this recipe is for a 10″ pan. If you use a different size pan, make sure you watch it closely to ensure that the center is cooked through. I made that mistake .. I’m not personally going to complain about eating hot dough, but I know that isn’t everyone’s thing.
Second, to know the cookie is cooked through, make sure that the top is golden brown and that the center no longer wiggles.
Next, make sure that the parchment paper covers the entire bottom of the pan. This will make it much easier to release.
And on that same note, make sure that the cookie is completely cool before removing it from the pan. Otherwise, it is likely to break and/or crumble.
A final decorating tip: to show those beautiful shiny chips on the top of the cake, press them in last, just before baking. This step ensures that after the cake is baked you will see chips scattered around the top.
This chocolate chip cookie cake is easy, beautiful, and most importantly: delicious!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp milk chocolate chips divided
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 2/3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk
- gel food coloring if desired
- sprinkles for decor
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line bottom of a 10″ round baking pan with parchment paper. Butter and flour sides of pan (or use Baking PAM).
- In a large bowl, use electric mixer to beat butter, sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in egg and egg yolk until well combined. Use spatula to scrape down sides as needed. Next, beat in vanilla extract.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and corn starch. Beat into butter mixture about 1/2 cup at a time. Scrape down sides as needed. Mix until well combined.
- Stir in mini semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1/4 cup of milk chocolate chips.
- Press dough evenly into prepared baking pan. Gently press remaining 2 tbsp of milk chocolate chips into top of dough (place chips randomly throughout the top to look more natural).
- Bake for 21-24 minutes, or until top is golden brown and center no longer wiggles.
- Remove from oven. Let cool completely before removing from pan.
- Beat butter and shortening on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Next add powdered sugar, about 1/2 cup at a time, until well combined.
- Beat in vanilla and milk and then beat for about 1 more minute.
- If you are using food coloring, add it in small amounts at this time, beating after each addition. Add coloring until desired color is achieved. Use pastry bag and icing tips to decorate top of cake as desired. Use sprinkles to decorate as desired.
If you enjoyed this Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake, you should check out these other SugarSpicesLife recipes:
Links to items used to make this recipe: