Buttermilk Pancakes. These pancakes are as easy as stirring together a box mix, but hands down better than a box any day. They are melt in your mouth delicious.
On the weekends, my family has a set routine …. we bring our kids into our bedroom and all sit together on the bed and watch a cartoon. Usually it’s YouTube, and usually it’s someone doing something like cleaning their car or shaking an egg … I generally end up looking into the person’s number of views and estimated income, and then wonder why I didn’t start videoing myself vacuuming out my car ten years ago.
Sorry, that’s off topic. What is on topic is that after the show we all go downstairs to have breakfast together. My son adores our weekend routine, and regularly asks for pancakes to eat.
I had a box of pancake mix that I used up before remembering to get another one, so I started using Bisquick. Then, we finished that box and I forgot to put that on my shopping list as well. So, I had to resort to legit homemade pancakes. I am glad that I did because had I not, I might not had discovered these tasty delights.
It took a few tries, but finally this recipe was developed, and I’m not sure I’ll be going back to any boxes in the near future. These buttermilk pancakes are fluffy, buttery, and delicious. I think part of the trick is cooking each side in butter. I have a Paula Dean attitude on butter … it makes everything amazing, including these pancakes. So leave them plain, cover them in syrup, mix in some chocolate chips or bananas, or whatever else your little morning heart desires. They are well worth the extra three minutes of work.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Beat eggs.
- Mix in all remaining ingredients until just combined. Allow mix to sit for 5 minutes before using.
- Heat large skillet over medium-low heat. Melt 1 teaspoon of butter in skillet.
- Drop pancake mix on skillet and allow to cook until top starts to bubble. Flip and cook other side until browned and pancake cooked through.
- Remove pancake from heat. Before cooking each set of pancakes, melt another teaspoon of butter.
If you enjoyed these Buttermilk Pancakes, you’ll probably enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes: