Soft zucchini bread flavored with fresh lemon juice and topped with a sweet lemon icing. This Lemon Zucchini Bread will be one of your favorite zucchini bread recipes.
Usually, my husband plants a garden each year, and we grow lots of zucchini. This year though, my kids were enjoying digging in the garden box, so we decided to let them keep their play box and skip the planting.
Halfway through the summer, our next door neighbors’ garden began to thrive, and our kids became upset that we had not planted a garden. So, they started making themselves at home in our neighbors’ garden. Fortunately, our neighbors are great, so they’re okay letting our kids walk through their garden and touch everything.
A couple of weeks ago my four year old was checking out the neighbors’ garden and walked back over to our house with a GIANT zucchini. It was unclear whether or not the taking of this zucchini had been sanctioned by an adult next door. The more I questioned my son, the more convinced I became that he had pillaged our neighbors’ garden.
My husband and I tried to return the pilfered zucchini, but our kind neighbors refused to take it back and told us that we should keep and use it. So, that is what we did.
Lemon Zucchini Bread
Last year I made a Toasted Coconut Lime Zucchini Bread that is still hands down one of my favorite zucchini recipes. I wanted to do another sweet zucchini bread, but switch up the flavors a bit. I decided to use fresh lemons, and it was a success.
This Lemon Zucchini Bread is the perfect sweet bread. Sweet enough to have for dessert, but not so sweet that you feel bad about eating it for breakfast. It’s a perfect way to use up some extra zucchini! Here a few tips for success:
- If you do not use an 8.5 x 4.5 loaf pan, you will likely need to adjust your cooking time.
- I recommend that you use fresh lemons. Bottled lemon juice does not have the same flavor for this bread.
- To grate the zucchini you can use a grater, food processor with a grater attachment (my favorite way), or a spiralizer with the 2mm blade, then chop it up with a knife.
Lemon Zucchini Bread
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- zest of 1 1/2 lemons
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8.5 x 4.5 with butter, or spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, brown sugar, and sugar.
- Then, stir in zucchini, vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla, 3 tbsp of lemon juice and zest of 1.5 lemons. Stir again until well combined. Pour into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until knife inserted into center of loaf comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before removing from pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together powdered sugar and lemon zest. Stir in lemon juice, 1/2 tbsp at a time, until desired consistency and taste is reached.
- Pour glaze over top of bread. Save some to use on individual slices, just before serving, as desired.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
If you enjoyed this Lemon Zucchini Bread, you should check out these other SugarSpicesLife recipes:
Links to items used to make this recipe: