Fresh corn combined with corn muffin mix, vegetables, and spices, then fried to a delicious crisp. These Skillet Fried Corn Fritters are a perfect snack, appetizer, or side dish!
Children Picking Corn
Two weeks ago, while I was working, my husband took my kids to a friends’ house to pick corn. My children are two and four years old, so in their minds, more is better. This all translated to me coming home to a kitchen counter stacked with a ridiculous amount of corn. Therefore, I had to start coming up with some serious corn recipes.
If you’re looking for other SugarSpicesLife corn recipes, give these a try:
Skillet Fried Corn Fritters
We ate corn with most meals for a solid week, and still had to throw some corn out. But, since everyone in my family likes corn, it was a pretty good week. I have a video of my two year-old daughter taking bites of corn, then walking backwards with her arms up in the air, like she had accomplished something grand. She did that over and over again. Like I said, we like corn.
I decided I wanted to make a delicious corn side dish. My husband does not care for creamy corn, so I wanted to make something crispy. I also wanted it to be full of flavor. Finally, I settled on trying my hand at Skillet Fried Corn Fritters.
Tips for Making Skillet Fried Corn Fritters
These fritters turned out to be delicious! You can customize these a few ways, so I’m including ideas for customization, along with a few tips to help ensure success:
- Use Jiffy corn muffin mix. I’m sure other corn muffin mixes work, but Jiffy is my personal favorite. No sponsorship here, I’m just a fan.
- If these fritters are made with all corn muffin mix, they turn out too fluffy for my taste. Therefore I added cornmeal as stated in the recipe. However, you can substitute the 1/4 cup cornmeal with about 1/3 cup extra corn muffin mix if you prefer.
- If you want more of a kick for these fritters, leave in a few jalapeño seeds.
- You can substitute thawed frozen corn or drained canned corn for the fresh corn, but I recommend fresh as it has the best taste.
Skillet Fried Corn Fritters
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 medium sized jalapeño seeds removed
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- ¼ cup red bell pepper chopped
- ¼ cup red onion chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg beaten
- ½ cup Mexican cheese blend
- ½ cup Jiffy corn muffin mix
- ¼ cup self rising cornmeal yellow or white
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil divided
- sour cream for topping
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients, except for the vegetable oil. Stir until very well combined.
- Use your hands to form batter into patties that are 3 to 4 inches in diameter, and about ¾ inch in thickness. Recipe will make ~10 patties of this size.
- Heat 2 tbsp of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place patties in a single layer. Cook until browned, about 3 minutes. Flip patties and cook on other side until browned. Remove cooked patties and set on paper towels to cool.
- Add 2 tbsp of vegetable oil to skillet and repeat for remaining patties. If your skillet will not fit half of the patties, you will need to add more oil each time you add new patties.
- Serve with sour cream if desired.
If you enjoyed these Skillet Fried Corn Fritters, you may enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes:
Links to items used to make this recipe: