Skillet Mexican Street Corn. Corn roasted in a skillet, tossed in a creamy, spicy lime sauce, and topped with goat cheese and onions. The best way ever to eat corn.
My husband and I try to get out for a date at least once a month. We do an okay job of making it happen, but it’s not unusual for a few months to pass by before we realize how long it’s been. A couple of weeks ago we had one of those moments where we realized we were overdue for an evening out.
I discussed our last date night in my Sloppy Joes post. We learned a valuable lesson that night: we’re too out of the date night game to just show up at a restaurant we don’t know. Fortunately, we have a great restaurant fairly close to us that never fails us. So, we decided to go to it for our date night.
The night we went out I was really craving dessert. I saw an appetizer of Mexican street corn on the menu, and thought that sounded pretty great, but knew if I ate it I wouldn’t have room for dessert. It was a tough first world decision, and I decided to go with dessert.
I woke up the next day with the Mexican street corn appetizer on my mind. I kept wondering what it would’ve tasted like. That night we were attending a friends’ cookout to which I was asked to bring a side. The clear move was to make Mexican street corn to take.
It was raining the evening of the cookout, so grilling the corn wasn’t a great option. However, I really wanted to turn the corn into a salad of sorts anyhow. I ‘grilled’ the corn in a skillet, tossed it with a delicious spicy yogurt sauce, and topped it with goat cheese and green onions. It was phenomenal. Hands down, my new favorite way to eat corn.
You might be asking yourself why I used goat cheese as opposed to a Mexican cheese … well, my grocery store didn’t have any soft Mexican cheeses, and goat cheese is tasty. I have great plans for making more skillet ‘grilled’ corns in the near future because I cannot get enough of this deliciousness!
Skillet Mexican Street CornPrint
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 14 ounce bag frozen corn thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- juice of 1/2 lime
- zest of 1/2 lime
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup goat cheese
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn. Let cook for 5 minutes, then stir and let cook an additional 5 minutes, or until corn begins to brown.
- Remove from heat. Stir in salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, stir together Greek yogurt, lime juice, lime zest, chili powder, and garlic powder. Once well combined, stir together with corn.
- Stir in cilantro and green onions. Save a few teaspoons of each for sprinkling on top.
- Sprinkle goat cheese and reserved cilantro and green onions over top of corn. Serve warm.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
If you enjoyed this Skillet Mexican Street Corn, you might also enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes: