Corn roasted in a skillet, tossed in a creamy, spicy lime sauce, and topped with goat cheese and onions. This Skillet Mexican Street Corn is the best way ever to eat corn.
My husband and I try to get out for a date at least once a month. We do an okay job of making it happen, but it’s not unusual for a few months to pass by and we realize we’ve missed a few months.
A couple of weeks ago we had one of those moments where we realized we were overdue for an evening out.
I discussed our last date night in my Sloppy Joes post. We learned a valuable lesson that night: we’re too out of the date night game to just show up at a restaurant we don’t know.
Fortunately, we have a great restaurant fairly close to us that never fails us, reservations or not. So, we decided to go to it for our date night this time.
The night we went out I was really craving dessert. I saw an appetizer of Mexican street corn on the menu, and thought that sounded pretty great, but knew if I ate it I wouldn’t have room for dessert. It was a tough first world decision, and I decided to go with dessert.
I woke up the next day with the Mexican street corn appetizer on my mind. I kept wondering what it would’ve tasted like. That night we were attending a friends’ cookout to which I was asked to bring a side. The clear move was to make Mexican street corn to take.
Skillet Mexican Street Corn
It was raining the evening of the cookout, so grilling the corn wasn’t a great option. However, I wanted to turn the corn into a salad of sorts anyhow.
I ‘grilled’ the corn in a skillet, tossed it with a delicious spicy yogurt sauce, and topped it with goat cheese and green onions. It was phenomenal. Hands down, my new favorite way to eat corn.
You might be asking yourself why I used goat cheese as opposed to a Mexican cheese … well, my grocery store didn’t have any soft Mexican cheeses, and goat cheese is tasty. I have great plans for making more skillet ‘grilled’ corns in the near future because I cannot get enough of this deliciousness!
12/31/20 Update: I have updated this post with new photos to better show how tasty it is!
Skillet Mexican Street Corn
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 14 ounce bag frozen corn thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- juice of 1/2 lime
- zest of 1/2 lime
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped and gently packed
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup goat cheese Cotija cheese and feta cheese also work well
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn. Let cook for 5 minutes, then stir a few times and let cook an additional 5 minutes, or until corn begins to brown.
- Remove from heat. Stir in salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, stir together Greek yogurt, lime juice, lime zest, chili powder, and garlic powder. Once well combined, stir together with corn.
- Stir in cilantro and green onions. Save a few teaspoons of each for sprinkling on top.
- Sprinkle goat cheese and reserved cilantro and green onions over top of corn. Serve warm.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
If you enjoyed this Skillet Mexican Street Corn, you might also enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes:
Chicken and Andouille Sausage Enchiladas
Quinoa Turkey Enchilada Stuffed Peppers
can you use canned corn?
Yes, I’ve used it before. I think it has just a little bit of a different taste. I’d rinse and drain it first, and it takes about half the time to cook it.
This corn is one of my family favorites. It is easy to make and is fresh. Everyone should try it.
Thanks for sharing!