Roasted Summer Squash Soup. Yellow, summer squash roasted with cinnamon then mixed with coconut milk and spices, topped with coconut and sunflower seeds. Move over butternut squash soup, yellow squash can make a tasty soup too!
Our garden has not been so successful this year. We’ve had various theories: the wood seems to be growing something, we forget to water it, etc. But then yesterday we found a fun reason … bunnies. There is a cute little hole of bunnies living beneath our tomatoes! I can’t even be mad that they’re eating our vegetables … I just want to snuggle them.
Although our garden has not been successful, our neighbors’ garden has been extremely successful, and they have given us quite a bit of their bounty, including some giant yellow squash. I wanted to make something different with the squash this year. I adore butternut squash soup, and thought maybe yellow squash would make a good soup. I was correct.
First, I roasted the squash with some cinnamon. Then, I put it in a pot with some spices, honey, and coconut milk, and mixed it all up. Finally, I put it in a bowl and sprinkled it with some sunflower seeds and coconut. This soup was creamy and full of flavor! It’s a new, delicious idea for all that yellow squash coming in!
Roasted Summer Squash Soup
- 4 cups yellow squash cut into ~1" chunks
- 1/2 plus 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 13.6 ounce can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- sweetened coconut flakes and sunflower seeds for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover baking pan with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Place squash in single layer on pan. Season with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Bake for 40 minutes, stirring squash every 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer roasted squash to a large pot over medium heat on stove. Stir in coconut milk, broth, remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, honey, tumeric, and salt. Use an emersion blender to combine all ingredients until smooth. Feel free to adjust seasonings to suit your own preferences.
- Let soup simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with sweetened coconut flakes and sunflower seeds.
If you enjoyed this Roasted Summer Squash Soup, you might enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes: