Grilled Chicken with Lime Butter Sauce. Chicken marinated in a garlic lime sauce, grilled, and topped with spinach and a delicious lime butter sauce. Quick to put together and full of flavor!
I originally wanted to call this recipe “Lime Chicken Giovanni”, but then I realized this is quite far from Chicken Giovanni. However, that is the dish that originally inspired this one.
A year or two ago I went to an Italian restaurant with my husband and another couple, and had Chicken Giovanni. It was one of those meals that was so good that I thought about it for a few days, wishing I could eat it over and over again. So, I tried to recreate it at home. It’s been a while, so I can’t remember exactly how my attempts turned out, but I remember being pretty satisfied.
Recently I had that chicken on my mind, and starting thinking of all the ways I could change it up. I’ve been on a lime kick recently, and thought, “I bet that chicken would be pretty good with lime.” Before I got around to doing anything about it though, it slipped my mind. But, as good fortunate would have it, the thought got sparked again! I was reading through a cookbook, Jackson Hole Cooks, that my husband gave me when we were dating. In that cookbook there is a recipe for a skillet lime chicken with a lime butter sauce. As I read about that lime butter sauce, I remembered my previous idea for a lime chicken with spinach, and knew a lime butter sauce over top would be perfect.
This dish turned out just as I hoped! Well, the second time it did. The first time it didn’t quite hit the mark, so I had to tweak it a bit. But yes, the second time, it turned out amazing. It’s full of flavor, but not your typical chicken dish. Served with a salad or some bread to absorb that tasty sauce, this grilled chicken with lime butter sauce is a perfect dinner.
Grilled Chicken with Lime Butter Sauce
- 1.5 pounds chicken breasts sliced thinly
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- zest of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh garlic
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon green onions chopped finely
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 ounces fresh spinach
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Mix together olive oil, salt, pepper, chicken broth, lime zest, and garlic.
- Pour mixture over chicken. Let chicken marinate in refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat grill to 500 degrees. Once grill has heated, reduce heat to 450. Place chicken directly on grill and cook until chicken has cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.
- In a small sauce pan over low heat, heat lime juice for about 2 minutes, then add butter. Stir constantly until butter is completely melted and sauce is opaque.
- Remove from heat and stir in dill, green onion, and salt.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add spinach, lime juice, and salt. Saute until spinach is completely wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Place spinach on top of chicken and drizzle with sauce.
If you enjoyed this Grilled Chicken with Lime Butter Sauce, you should check out these other SugarSpicesLife recipes: