Rolled Chicken Saltimboca. Deliciously breaded chicken stuffed with prosciutto, mozzarella cheese, and sauted spinach.
I work with eyes for a living, and since eyes and cameras are practically the same thing, I figured I could get this photography thing down in no time. I was wrong. Photography is really, really hard.
I have taken hundreds of photos of our meals this week, and seriously, none of them match the pictures in my head. I have made it my goal to figure this thing out though. I realize that my photos are not yet on foodgawker par, but I thought maybe I’d submit one this week and see if they gave any constructive feedback. I did, and the feedback was “does not meet our publishing standards”. In other words “there is so much wrong we can’t narrow it down to this small box”. So, I worked and tried again.
I submitted a second one yesterday and although it was rejected, it said “composition – too tight”. I took that as a win, and a sign I’m improving. They can now fit my problems into a little box. YEAHHH!!!! But, this week when my 3 year old said he needed to take a picture of his dessert, I realized I might need to cut back on the practice a bit….
That is all unrelated to this meal. On to Italian chicken chat. Recently I had lunch at an Italian restaurant and had chicken saltimboca. It was delicious. It was one of those meals that stayed on mind. Hours later I thought, “How can I spice that up a bit at home?” Well, I love to roll and bread chicken, since I think it keeps the chicken juicy and adds an extra layer of flavor. So, I took the basics of the chicken saltimboca, and turned it into a tasty, little chicken roll. Voila, it was delish too! So here is how that recipe goes:
Rolled Chicken Saltimboca
- 2 pounds chicken breasts sliced in half or use cutlets
- Salt & pepper
- 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice divided
- 4 ounces prosciutto thinly sliced
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese sliced in half
- 1 cup seasoned panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Spray baking pan with baking spray, or use silicone mat on pan.
- Use meat mallet to beat chicken until about 3/4″ thick.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and saute for about 1 minute.
- Add spinach, 1 tbsp of lemon juice and 1/2 tsp salt. Saute until spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- At the largest part of the chicken, layer each slice of chicken with 1/2 slice of mozzarella, prosciutto, and spinach.
- Roll chicken starting with the largest part and rolling in.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix panko, 1/4 tsp pepper, and sage. In a second medium sized bowl, mix 3 tbsp lemon juice and 3 tbsp olive oil.
- Dip rolled chicken in lemon/olive oil mixture, then roll in panko mixture.
- Place rolled chicken on prepared pan, seam side down.
- Spray tops of chicken lightly with baking spray (I use vegetable oil spray).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cooked through.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
Enjoy this Rolled Chicken Saltimboca? You’ll probably enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes: