Honey Garlic Pork with Fried Rice. Pork in a delicious honey, garlic sauce over the easiest, best fried rice. A meal as good as an Asian restaurant in under an hour at home!
Around my house, we usually order take out once every week or two. Whatever night it is that my husband and I are too tired to cook and just want to hang out with our kids, we decide to let someone else cook. We do not have many options near us. Basically we have three places we rotate through. Sometimes we get crazy, and drive the 15 minutes to somewhere a bit further, but usually we stick with our faithful three.
One of our faithful choices is a Chinese restaurant. A couple of weeks ago when we ordered takeout, we decided to go for Chinese. It has been a while, and I sat reading the menu, I started craving everything. I love Asian food. All of it. It’s just so tasty. I ended up getting some vegetarian sushi, but decided I would recreate some of the other options soon. And that is what I have done here.
Honey is great. It works with pretty much everything, including pork and garlic. So, I decided to make a honey garlic sauce to serve over pork. It was a great decision.
When thinking about rice to go along with the pork, I didn’t want plain rice – I wanted fried rice. And I wanted fried rice that tasted like it had come from an Asian restaurant. I have made fried rice in the past that was not up to par with what I had in mind. I did a little google research and determined that my problem in the past was that I was not using cold rice. That was an easy fix – put the rice in the refrigerator! And it was an excellent decision as well. This fried rice is amazing. It will certainly be making an appearance again soon in other ways.
My kids are currently going through an anti-food phase. One likes to throw it and yell “ohhhh nooooo!” The other like to make up mysterious ailments that prohibit him from eating anything other than dessert. However, they both ate this. Let’s be honest, honey, pork, and just about everything in this dish are delicious. This is quick, easy, and perfect for a weeknight dinner!
Honey Garlic Pork with Fried Rice
Honey Garlic Pork
- 1.25 pork cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 tbsp garlic cloves
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- green onions chopped
- sesame seeds
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon butter
- pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter divided
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots thawed
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 tbsp soy sauce divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil divided
- green onions chopped
Honey Garlic Pork
- In a large skillet over medium-high, heat vegetable oil. Add pork, red pepper, pepper, soy sauce, onion, and garlic. Cook until pork is cooked through, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add honey and stir well. Sprinkle cornstarch over honey mixture. Stir well.
- Simmer until mixture is thickened. Finish with green onions and sesame seeds.
- Remove from heat
- Bring rice, water, butter, and salt to a boil. Then, reduce to low and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes until water is absorbed.
- Transfer rice to a bowl or baking pan. Place in refrigerator for at least one hour to cool.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt 1/2 tbsp butter. Add two eggs with salt and pepper to taste. Stir constantly until eggs are cooked, then remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add another 1/2 tbsp butter to skillet. Then, add onion, thawed peas and carrots, garlic, 2 tbsp of the soy sauce, and 1/4 teaspoon of the sesame oil. Cook until vegetables softened.
- Move vegetables to side of pan and add another 1/2 tbsp of butter. Then add cooled rice and the additional 2 tbsp of soy sauce. Cook until rice is browned.
- Once rice is browned, stir in additional 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil, eggs, and chopped green onions.
If you enjoyed this Honey Garlic Pork with Fried Rice, you should try these other SugarSpicesLife recipes: