Zucchini Crust Pepperoni Pizza. A delicious pizza crust made of zucchini, topped with pizza sauce, pepperoni, and cheese. Top it how you like but your kids will never guess there are vegetables in the crust!
Today is day two of zucchini week on the blog. If you missed yesterday, it was Toasted Coconut Lime Zucchini Bread, so make sure you check that out.
Today though, is zucchini crust pepperoni pizza day. My three and a half year old is going through a phase where he really likes pizza, and requests it pretty regularly. I suppose almost every kid goes through this, so no one is surprised.
A week or so ago we had some friends over for dinner with their two children, who are four and two. Usually, we make a point of having our kids eat the same thing as us, but when the kids have friends over, it’s fun to have something special for them to eat. Our son requested pizza (of course) but he had eaten pizza the day before, so I wanted to do something a little healthier. Plus, I saw a perfect opportunity to use up some zucchini!
So, this zucchini pizza crust was developed! And this crust is seriously good. So good that even kids will miss out on the zucchini!
The night I served this, our friends’ four year old daughter said to me, “Christine, this pizza is really good, thank you so much for making it. I liked it all except for the green stuff.” We all laughed a lot, and I thought I had failed, but it turns out she was talking about the parsley on top and DID love the zucchini crust!
So top the crust with whatever toppings you see fit, and love this delicious way to get some more veggies into you and your kids’ lives!
Zucchini Crust Pepperoni Pizza
- 4 cups of zucchini grated
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour divided
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1/2 cup jarred pizza sauce
- 20 slices pepperoni
- 2/3 cup mixed mozzarella and cheddar cheeses
- 2 tbsp shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat grated zucchini for 5 minutes. Transfer to a colander and let drain. Once zucchini is cool enough to touch, use paper towels to squeeze out moisture.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together zucchini, 1 1/4 cups flour, egg, Italian seasoning, kosher salt, pepper, and 2 tbsp olive oil.
- Dough will be very sticky. Make it into a flat circle, about 5" in diameter, as best as you can. Cover outside of dough with remaining 1/4 cup flour.
- Spread dough evenly out on a pizza stone or parchment paper lined baking sheet. Brush remaining tbsp of olive oil over top of crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
- Cover crust with pizza sauce, pepperoni, cheeses, parsley, and other desired toppings. Return to oven and bake for 7-8 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
If you enjoyed this Zucchini Crust Pepperoni Pizza, yo’ll probably enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes: