Bacon Chicken Cordon Bleu. Chicken stuffed with ham, swiss cheese, and bacon, then rolled in a deliciously spiced panko mixture. A tasty twist on chicken cordon bleu!
A few years ago, pre kid days, my husband and I were involved with a small group at church. We’d meet with friends on Monday nights and start the evening with dinner together. I mentioned before in the Mini Fruit Pizza post that my friends Whitney and Ben started coming to our group a year or two after we started. When they joined, it was close to their wedding anniversary. We all wanted Ben and Whitney to know that we loved them, so we decided to do a special anniversary dinner for them. My friend Caitlin secretly found out what they had served for dinner at their wedding reception, and tasked each of us with something to make. She assigned me chicken cordon bleu.
Prior to that dinner, I had made chicken cordon bleu a couple of times, but it had been many years, and just wasn’t something I had in my dinner rotation. Caitlin sent me Skinnytaste’s Chicken Cordon Bleu, and two beautiful things happened. First, I discovered Skinnytaste, which changed my dinner life. That woman knows what she is doing with spices. Second, I realized how easy it is to make chicken cordon blue, and decided to add it to my regular food rotation.
The other day I noticed I had some extra bacon in my refrigerator, and thought, “I should wrap some chicken with that yum.” One thought led to another, and I decided it needed to be incorporated into chicken cordon bleu. It was a very good and tasty thought.
The bacon adds a delicious flavor to this dish, and helps keep the chicken from drying out as well. This is quick and minimal effort to but together, with a big taste outcome!
Bacon Chicken Cordon Bleu
- 1.5 pounds chicken breast
- 6 ounces sliced deli ham
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 5 strips bacon
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup Italian Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with silicone baking mat, or spray with cooking spray.
- Use mallet to beat chicken to about 1/3" thickness. If pieces are very wide, cut them in half so that the chicken strips are about 3" in width.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat. Place bacon in skillet and cook for about 8 minutes (flipping halfway through), or until the strips begin to crisp. Remove from pan and set on paper towels to drain.
- In a shallow bowl or baking dish, whisk together eggs and olive oil.
- In a second shallow bowl or baking dish, stir together salt, pepper, breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, parsley, thyme, paprika, oregano, and garlic powder.
- Lay out pieces of chicken on cutting board or other working surface. On top of each piece of chicken, place half a piece of swiss cheese, half a piece of bacon, and a slice of ham.
- Roll chicken, starting with the most narrow part. Then, dip all sides of the chicken roll in the egg wash, then dredge all sides through the panko mixture, and place roll seam side down on prepared baking sheet.
- Spray tops of rolls lightly with cooking spray. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until tops of rolls being to brown and chicken is cooked through. To check that the chicken is cooked through, you may cut into the thickest piece of chicken on the pan.
If you enjoyed this Bacon Chicken Cordon Bleu, you should check out these other SugarSpicesLife recipes: