Oven Fried Chicken. This oven fried chicken just is as good, if not better, than most traditional fried chicken recipes, and certainly healthier.
I grew up in the south, so to me, fried chicken feels like home. I love eating it, but I do not love making it …. it’s just too messy. We have this great little countertop fryer, and when I’m frying chicken, it doesn’t seem that bad, but whenever I’m done, I find oil EVERYWHERE. Seriously, on the wall five feet above the counters, on the sides of cabinets that are on the other side of the kitchen, on the floor, on the counters …. it defies physics where that stuff lands. And it is hard to clean.
In the spirit of honesty, I need to add a side note: I’m rarely the one frying the chicken. It does happen on occasion, but mostly it’s my husband’s duty. However, I’m almost always the one cleaning the kitchen, so the mess aspect is very important to me, no matter who makes it. Alright, on with the chicken chat …
Another fried chicken issue: I don’t like the way the grease of fried chicken makes me feel. I adore the juiciness of the chicken and it’s tasty coating though! I wanted to find a way to have all the things I like without the mess and yucky feeling. Well, good news friends: this oven “fried” chicken has it all!
The chicken is juicy, the coating is crispy, and it’s super flavorful. Serve it with some buttermilk biscuits, and it’s a little bite of heaven.
The trick to the chicken in this recipe is ensuring that it’s sliced thinly. If it’s too thick, it gets dried out in the oven, and isn’t as juicy. My grocery store sells some thick chicken, so I cut each piece in half horizontally so that the each cut is about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch thick.
I have tried multiple recipes in the past for oven “fried” chicken … some were too bland, some were too spicy, but this one is just right. Enjoy!
Oven Fried Chicken
- 2 pounds chicken breasts, sliced in half if thick
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon herb seasoning
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup seasoned panko
- 2/3 cup crushed saltine crackers
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- In medium sized bowl or container, combine buttermilk with following 6 ingredients and mix well to make a marinade. Place chicken in marinade and cover. Let sit in refrigerator for at least 6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line shallow baking sheet with aluminum foil or baking mat. Place baking rack in pan.
- In shallow bowl, beat the two eggs well.
- In a second shallow bowl, combine the following 11 ingredients and mix well.
- Remove chicken from marinade. Coat with eggs, then dredge both sides through coating mixture. Place on baking rack.
- Bake until cooked through, about 30 minutes.
Enjoy this Oven Fried Chicken? You’ll probably enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes?