Homemade Hamburgers. These delicious patties take less than ten minutes to put together, and taste a thousand times better than the frozen ones. You will never buy pre-made hamburger patties again.
There is nothing better than one of those warm spring days where our whole family can be outside playing and chatting with friends, drinking some cold tea, and smelling burgers on the grill.
During grilling season, my husband tends to take care of the main dish. This means I have more time to devote to making dessert, and since my husband is in the yard, our kids can run around outside as much as their little hearts desire. Grilling season is just all around amazing.
When it comes to grilling hamburgers, I am a snob for my husband’s variety. That man knows what he is doing when it comes to grilling and meat. The recipe I’m sharing below is his most basic hamburger recipe. Often, he’ll spice it up with little additions …. sausage, teriyaki sauce, etc. I’ll be sure to share some of his other versions in the future; however, even this ‘basic’ homemade hamburger is fabulous.
One of the most important things with making homemade hamburgers is the quality of the meat itself. We buy our meat from a meat market near our house, which I realize is not available to everyone. No matter where you purchase your meat, I would highly recommend not using a reduced fat meat. We usually use 80/20 or 85/15, and that just makes for one juicy sandwich. Top it with some grilled onions and peppers, and you will be one happy hamburger eater.
Update 7/23/18: I have updated the homemade hamburger photos because a) my previous photos were not that great, and b) I want these photos to make you realize that these hamburgers are way above average, and just freaking GOOD. We actually had these burgers for dinner last night, and as I sit here editing photos right now, I’m sad that there are no longer any in the fridge. Make sure you make enough for seconds. You’ll want them.
- 1.5 pounds ground beef (can also sub 3/4 lb ground beef for 3/4 lb ground sausage)
- 1/2 sweet onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1.5 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 6 hamburger buns
- optional toppings: grilled onions, grilled green pepper, grilled pineapple
- Combine all ingredients in bowl.
- Shape into hamburger patties (about 3-4" rounds).
- Turn grill to 500 degrees. Once grill reaches 500, turn heat down to 450 and place hamburgers on grill. Brown, flip, and brown other side.
- If desired, grill sweet onions and green pepper on grilling pan. If grilling green pepper in large chunks, parts of the skin will likely char and you'll want to remove the charred areas before eating.
- Serve on buns and with desired toppings.
If you enjoyed these Homemade Hamburgers, you’ll probably enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes: