Greek Chicken over Orzo Lentil Salad. Delicious grilled chicken marinated with Greek spices on top of an orzo lentil salad with an herb vinaigrette and fresh vegetables.
It has been hot recently. Last weekend it was in the 90s, and on Sunday our air conditioner decided to take a little break. It was a quick, easily fixed break, but left us a little warm for a few hours. There was no chance I was going to turn on my stove or oven, so I wanted something grilled, and something with fresh, cool vegetables.
When we have family get togethers, my brother-in-law often grills chicken with a delicious Greek spice rub that he gets from his hometown in New York. When I was thinking about what I wanted grilled, that was what first came to mind. I don’t have a clue what is in his spice rub, but figured I could create something similar.
Several years ago my mom got me several of the The Great Courses culinary courses, including one on spices from different regions. On Sunday I opened the book and made a list of mediterranean spices, vegetables and grains. I started with some of those and added and tasted until it matched what it had in my head. It came together exactly as I hoped it would!
If you’ve never tried making a list of ingredients and spices that you think would work well together, without written proportions, then add and taste until you get the dish you want, I highly recommend you try it. The best dishes in my kitchen always happen when I start in that way.
This Greek Chick over Orzo Lentil Salad is full of delicious fresh flavors. Plus, it’s healthy and filling. A perfect summer dinner.
Greek Chicken over Orzo Lentil Salad
- 1.5 pounds chicken breast sliced thinly
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves packed
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley leaves packed
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 green pepper cut into strips
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup dried orzo cooked according to package directions
- 1 cup dried green lentils cooked according to package directions
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cucumber diced into bite sized pieces
- 1 medium sized tomato cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 red onion cut into bite sized pieces
Chicken and Green Pepper
- Place all ingredients, except for the chicken, in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pour sauce over chicken, cover and refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat grill to 500 degrees. Once it reaches temp, reduce to 450 degrees. Place chicken directly on grill. Grill until chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.
- Brush green pepper pieces with 1/2 tbsp olive oil. Place on aluminum foil on grill. Cook until tender, about 7 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together cooked orzo and lentils, 2 tbsp chopped parsley, 2 tbsp chopped cilantro, cucumber, tomato, and red onion.
- Place 1/4 cup parsley, 1/4 cup cilantro, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, red wine vinegar and olive oil in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Pour sauce over orzo vegetable mixture and stir well.
- Serve chicken and green pepper over salad.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
If you enjoyed this Greek Chicken over Orzo Lentil Salad, you should check out these other SugarSpicesLife recipes: