Strawberry Pesto Skillet Pizza. Homemade pizza crust cooked in a cast iron skillet. Topped with pesto, sweet Italian chicken sausage, strawberries, basil, mozzarella, and balsamic reduction. You will never purchase another pizza crust.
Recently, I saw a photo of some peaches on top of a pizza. I don’t care for pineapple on pizza, so I assumed I wouldn’t care for any fruit on pizza, and dismissed it. But despite that initial dismissal, I couldn’t stop thinking about it … I was intrigued.
I mean plan each week, but last week my family went through meals quicker than I had anticipated. At the end of the week I stood in front of my refrigerator trying to figure out what I could make for dinner. I saw some strawberries that were on the verge of going bad. I remembered the pizza with the peaches, and I knew what had to be done. Those strawberries needed to go on a pizza with some pesto.
First thing was the crust. I didn’t have any pre-made pizza crust, but I did have some yeast packets, so I threw together a quick crust to bake in a skillet beacuse A) skillets look pretty in pictures and B) everything tastes better in a skillet.
Then, I covered that crust with some pesto, strawberries, sweet Italian chicken sausage, and mozzarella. After it baked, I threw on some fresh basil and knew it needed something else …. balsamic reduction. I did not have balsamic reduction, but I did have balsamic vinegar. So, I simmered that balsamic for a little bit until it turned into balsamic reduction. Honest side note on the balsamic … the first time I simmered it for about 20 minutes, until it looked thick in the pot. By the time it cooled, it was the consistency of tar and I couldn’t do anything with it. The second time I simmered it for about 10 minutes, and by the time it cooled, it was perfect.
This pizza was literally made with things I had laying around my kitchen and freezer. It was quick, easy, and delicious. My husband had leftover Greek Chicken over Orzo Lentil Salad this night, so my kids and I ate the pizza. Both of my kids and I loved this thing. It was unique, delicious, and just fun. I promise this pizza crust will be returning in different ways soon.
Strawberry Pesto Skillet Pizza
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/4 ounce packet instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/3 cup pesto
- 2 links sweet Italian chicken sausage
- 5 large strawberries cut into small slices
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ~1/4 cup fresh basil
- Balsamic reduction
- In a small bowl, combine warm water, yeast, and sugar. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add flour, salt, olive oil and Italian seasoning. Use a mixer with dough hook and beat until dough turns into a ball.
- Grease inside of a small bowl. Roll ball of dough in bowl. Cover with dish towel and let rise for 1 hour.
- After the hour, punch down dough and kneed 5-6 times. Cut dough in half. You can freeze or refrigerate other half of dough if not making two pizzas.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spread dough from side to side in the bottom of a cast iron skillet.
- Spread pesto over dough.
- Place strawberries even on top of pesto.
- In a small pan over medium-high heat, brown chicken sausage. Spread the cooked chicken evenly over the pizza.
- Follow with mozzarella cheese.
- Place skillet and oven and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until crust is golden and cheese is melted.
- Spread fresh basil and drizzle balsamic reduction over top of pizza.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
If you enjoyed this Strawberry Pesto Skillet Pizza, you should check out these other SugarSpicesLife recipes: