Skillet Cornbread. Quick, easy, delicious cornbread make in a skillet. A perfect side dish for almost any meal.
My family has a cookbook, and in it there are about five different recipes for various ways to make cornbread. I great up in the south … my family is southern … it makes sense.
I’ve been thinking about cornbread a lot recently. Summer time just seems like a good time to have it. But honestly, it works all year long. It’s great with spring time salads, it’s the ideal side for summer time grilled steak, it pairs beautifully with fall butternut squash soup, and is the only accompaniment for winter chili. Cornbread is a truly versatile food.
But back to the point … last week when I had cornbread on my mind, I opened my family cookbook to pick a recipe to make. If I had been alone, I would have picked a spoon cornbread. But, making a ‘wet’ bread wouldn’t bode well for my husband eating it. If I had been making it for just him, I probably would’ve bought a box of Jiffy. Don’t get me wrong, Jiffy is fantastic, but this skillet cornbread seemed like a good compromise.
This particular recipe comes from my mom, and it’s super easy to make. It uses self rising cornmeal, so there are hardly any ingredients to mix. My mom recommends Hodgson Mill brand. My local grocery store didn’t have that brand, so I used Indian Head, and it turned out well. It was a hit for my whole family. The morning after I made it, my son and I heated up a piece, slathered some butter on the top, and had it for our morning snack …. it’s just that good.
- 1/4 cup corn oil plus 2 tsp
- 2 cups self-rising stone ground corn meal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk or use regular milk and substitute 1 1/2 tbsp milk for 1 1/2 tbsp white vinegar and let sit for 5 minutes
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a heat proof bowl, mix together corn meal, sugar, and egg.
- Pour oil in a cast iron skillet (9" round) and place in pre-heated oven for 1 minute.
- Pour oil into corn meal mixture and stir together well.
- Use oil to coat entire inside of skillet. You can use a paper towel to spread the oil around that remains, or you may need to add 2 tsp more.
- Pour corn meal mixture into skillet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until top is golden and knife inserted into center of bread comes out clean.
If you enjoyed this Skillet Cornbread, you’ll probably enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes:
Link to Amazon item used to make this recipe: