Perfectly seasoned beef cooked with beans, vegetables, and flavorful spices. This Easy Beef and Bean Chili can be made in a slow cooker or an Instant Pot for a warm, comforting weeknight meal!
Post has been updated, this is the original post from April 2018:
This past winter has been tough on my daughter with colds. As soon as she finishes one cold, she gets another, and almost all of them have ended with her having an ear infection. This afternoon she has a follow up with her pediatrician.
After my daughter’s appointment today, I have a hair appointment. Last week, I had some color done, and as a friend of mine put it, it looks like I overdosed on sun-in … it’s a bit orange.
All that to say, there’s a lot going on around dinner time today, so it’s a good day to have a slow cooker meal waiting for us when we get back tonight. And, since it’s a cold, rainy day, it’s a good chili day.
October 2018 Update
I’m slowly going back through a few, old posts, updating them as needed. The easy beef and bean chili recipe in this post is solid. No change needed.
But, the written post and photos, they needed updating. First, I needed to add some chili chat. And second, the photos were subpar, they needed facelift.
Easy Beef and Bean Chili
This chili is one of my favorite recipes. First, it’s easy. I mean really easy. It takes about 10 minutes to put together, so I can pull that off almost any morning.
Second, it can be made in a slow cooker or an Instant Pot (I use my Instant Pot for both functions). So, say you can’t find that ten minutes in the morning, no problem, do it in the Instant Pot that night!
And finally, it’s filling. My husband likes hearty, filling meals. I like meals that aren’t too high in gross fats. So this meal works for us both! It goes well with Skillet Cornbread or North Carolina Sourdough Bread.
Easy Beef and Bean Chili
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 cloves fresh, minced garlic
- 1 15 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15 ounce can dark red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15 ounce can northern white beans rinsed and drained
- 1 10 ounce can diced tomatoes with chiles drained
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 15 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- Season meat with 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp onion powder, and black pepper to taste. Brown meat over medium-high heat. Or, if you’re using an Instant Pot as your slow cooker, use the saute function.
- Drain the excess fat off the beef.
- Add onion, red pepper, garlic, and tomato paste. Saute until veggies have softened, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a slow cooker or Instant Pot. If you used the Instant Pot to saute, turn off the saute function.
- Add beans, corn, tomatoes, tomato sauce. Stir.
- Add cumin, oregano, 2 tbsp of the chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, cinnamon, and chicken broth.
- Slow Cooker: Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours, or low 8-10 hours. Instant Pot: Seal and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Let natural release for 10 minutes.
- Before serving, stir in 2 tsp of chili powder.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
If you enjoyed this Easy Beef and Bean Chili, you might also enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes: