Slow cooker beef chili with beans and veggies. Perfect for a winter day.
This winter has been tough on my daughter with colds. As soon as she finishes one, she gets another, mostly affecting her ears. This afternoon she has a follow up with her pediatrician. After her appointment, I have an appointment to have my hair fixed. I had some color done on my roots last week, and as a friend of mine put it, it looks like I overdosed on sun-in. They are screaming orange. All that to say, there’s a lot going on around dinner time today, so it’s a good day to have a slow cooker meal waiting for us when we get back. And, since it’s a cold, rainy day, it’s a good chili day.
I use my Instant Pot as a slow cooker (affiliate link) as I love that I can saute in it and have less to clean.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can black beans 15oz, rinsed and drained
- 1 can dark red kidney beans 15oz, rinsed and drained
- 1 can northern white beans 15oz, rinsed and drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes with mild green chiles 10oz, drained
- 1 can tomato sauce 8oz
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes 15oz, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
Season meat with 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp onion powder, and black pepper to taste. Brown meat over medium-high heat. Or, if you're using an Instant Pot as your slow cooker, use the saute function.
Drain the excess fat off the beef.
Add onion, red pepper, garlic, and tomato paste. Saute until veggies have softened, about 4 minutes.
Transfer to a slow cooker, or turn off saute function.
Add beans, corn, tomatoes, tomato sauce. Stir.
Add cumin, oregano, 2 tbsp of the chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, cinnamon, and chicken broth.
Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours, or low 8-10 hours.
Before serving, stir in 2 tsp of chili powder.