Beef with vegetables and delicious Indian spices simmered in a homemade curry sauce. These Spiced Meatballs in Curry Sauce are a delicious, unique dinner!
Recipes on the Internet
Prior to writing a blog, I used to spend the weekend perusing Pinterest for recipes to try. I tried to pick out new recipes every week. It was sometimes great, sometimes iffy.
One weekend I picked out a lamb meatball with curry sauce recipe. I didn’t have lamb, or many of the other ingredients listed, so it ended up being a recipe using things I had around the house. And it did NOT turn out well.
Last spring I thought about that recipe and it inspired me to create my own meatball in curry sauce. It took me about five tries to make this recipe one that I was happy to share, but it finally made it!
Spiced Meatballs in Curry Sauce
I based this meatball recipe on my Italian Meatballs recipe, but obviously used different spices. In addition, I added vegetables because I like to sneak them into meals for my kids when I can.
For the spices I used:
- Garlic Powder
- All Spice
- Chili Powder
- Black Pepper
It’s a long list, but worth it. It gives the meatballs a unique, delicious flavor.
I tried this recipe with both raw and sauteed vegetables. Sauteing makes a BIG difference.
The raw vegetables were too crunchy, and overpowered the spices. The sauteed vegetables were smooth and added just a bit of a different texture.
You should bake your meatballs for about 10 minutes so that they are browned, but not fully cooked through. They will finish cooking in the sauce.
I tried cooking the meatballs fully before simmering them, but they turned out a bit dry and had less flavor compared to those that finished cooking in the sauce.
The curry sauce is fairly simple to make. It uses the following ingredients:
- Onion sauteed in ghee (if you don’t have ghee, you may substitute butter, but I highly recommend ghee)
- Garlic cloves
- Ginger paste (ginger paste has a stronger flavor than grated ginger – if you cannot find ginger paste, you can use a microplane to grate ginger and make your own)
- Red curry paste
- Crushed tomatoes
This dish is finished by stirring in garam masala, cilantro, lime juice, and greek yogurt. This gives a final pop of flavor and creamy taste.
I recommend serving the meatballs over basmati rice for a filling, delicious meal!
These Spiced Meatballs in Curry Sauce are a unique, flavorful, and delicious dinner for any night of the week!
Spiced Meatballs in Curry Sauce
- 2 cups shredded vegetables I used bagged coleslaw mix in blender
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ginger paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 4 cloves fresh minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1/4 cup red curry paste
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 5.3 oz plain Greek yogurt
- Basmati rice for serving
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shredded vegetables and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove vegetables from skillet and place in blender. Blend until no large chunks remain, about 2 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil or silicone baking mats.
- In a large bowl, pour milk over bread crumbs and let sit for 3-4 minutes. Add eggs and stir well. Then, stir in sauteed vegetables, and the remaining meatball ingredients. Stir until well combined.
- Form mixture into balls that are about 1.5 inches in diameter (makes about 32 meatballs). Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes, the flip and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Melt ghee in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger paste, and red curry paste. Saute for another 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes and salt. Reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Blend mixture in pot until smooth (may use an immersion blender or transfer to a blender).
- Add meatballs to blended sauce and simmer uncovered until meatballs are cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in garam masala, cilantro, lime juice, and Greek yogurt.
- Serve over Basmati rice.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
If you enjoyed these Spiced Meatballs in Curry Sauce, you might also enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes: