Chicken and Andouille Sausage Burritos
My husband Matt and I have both always enjoyed cooking, but after our kids were born, and we found ourselves spending significantly more time around the house, that little hobby turned into one of our hands down favorite things. We dream about the days we used to go out to restaurants, and then try to recreate those restaurant meals at home. Our evenings now often consist of one of us cooking, followed by eating as a family, and then getting the kids to bed. After that, Matt and I watch Food Network or The Cooking Channel to get inspiration for our next dishes, and dream about the day we get an RV and go on the road … Matt grilling and myself making & eating dessert.
Our love of food is wearing off on our son. Last fall, when our son was just over two and a half, we had our friends Tony and Hannah, and their two boys over to grill. Tony and Hannah’s boys ran around our yard with water guns and played on the swing set. Our son took a big bowl from our kitchen and our salt & pepper grinders outside, filled the bowl with grass and dirt, sat on our porch steps, and yelled things like “my food needs more spices”. Fingers crossed this means he’s on his way to being the next Food Network star.
In any case, I love it when my husband cooks. I like food, and he makes really tasty food. One of my favorite things he makes are burritos …. they are quick, easy, and super delicious. Tonight was burrito night, and this is how Matt makes them:
Andouille Sausage and Chicken Burritos
- 1.5 pounds of chicken breasts slice these in half so they're about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick
- 12 ounce package of smoked andouille sausage
- Olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro plus more for garnish
- 1/2 lime
- 3 bell peppers (red orange, green), sliced thinly
- 1 large sweet onion sliced thinly
- 1 jar of salsa verde
- 1 jar of red salsa of choice
- 1 10 ounce package of yellow rice prepared according to package directions
- 1 16 ounce can of refried beans prepared according to package directions
- Shredded Mexican cheese for topping
- 8 burrito tortillas
- Slice chicken breasts in half. Lay breasts on cutting board and brush both sides of chicken with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place chicken in container and mix in 3 cloves of garlic, juice of 1/2 of a lime, and 1 tbsp of finely chopped cilantro. Cover container and let marinate in fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Slice peppers and onions thinly. Coat with olive oil and salt to taste. Place on grilling pan (if pan has holes, use aluminum foil under the veggies).
- Turn grill on to 500 degrees. Once grill reaches 500, turn down to 450 and place veggies pan on grill.
- Grill veggies until tender, stirring occasionally, about 10-12 minutes.
- Place chicken directly on grill. Heat until cooked through, about 2 minutes per side.
- Place andouille sausage on grill and cook until heated through.
- Chop chicken and sausage into bite sized pieces.
- Time to prepare the burritos ... lay down tortilla and fill with beans, rice, red salsa, onions, peppers, sausage and chicken. Fold top and bottom of burrito in and roll.
- Turn oven on to high broil. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place burrito on foil, cover with salsa verde and cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and slightly brown, about 2 minutes.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
[…] via Chicken and Andouille Sausage Burritos — Sugar.Spices.Life. […]