Chicken Tikka Masala. This chicken tikka masala is AMAZING. It’s easy to make and can be cooked in a slow cooker or Instant Pot. Creamy, savory, and the spice level is easily adjusted.
A couple of years back my friend Brooke started raving about her new kitchen gadget, an Instant Pot. At first I wasn’t interested, I figured I had enough things in my kitchen, but as other friends jumped on board and started raving about theirs too, I became intrigued.
The more I learned, the more I was crossing my fingers that my slow cooker would die so that I would have an excuse to purchase one. And then last November, it happened … my slow cooker kicked the bucket. I spent a few days researching and deciding which Instant Pot I wanted (this one – Amazon link), and then spent a few more days googling coupon codes and sales. Finally, the stars aligned, I found a great deal, and I ordered one from Kohl’s. The day it arrived, I fell in love.
All was good until two days later, when I left the Instant Pot sitting on my counter. My son was messing with my newly beloved pot, so I quickly pushed it to the back of the stove top where he couldn’t reach it. Then, I took him upstairs for a nap. He picked this day to think it would be funny to lock us in his room. As I was trying to escape, I smelled something burning. I tried to escape faster. Finally, I did. When I arrived downstairs, I found that when I had moved my pot, I had had accidentally turned on the stove and melted the bottom of it.
Long story short, Kohl’s had pity on me and matched their previous sale price. And when I also contacted Instant Pot to say “Hey, think I can still use this?”, they gave me an amazing deal on a new one. So, within a 4 day period, I had ordered 3 instant pots. I was concerned that I was going to be on some sort of watch list for ordering so many pressure cookers in one week, but to my knowledge I am not, and I now have a working Instant Pot that makes he really happy.
Which brings me to today’s recipe … Chicken Tikka Masala. I haven’t had many Chicken Tikka Masala recipes that I haven’t liked, but this one is on a whole new level.
It. Is. Delicious.
It can be mild, medium, or spicy so it’s perfect for your family. AND, it can be made in your Instant Pot or slow cooker. Life is so good.
Chicken Tikka Masala
- 2 pounds chicken breasts
- 2.5 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 4 tablespoons butter divided, I use unsalted
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 1/8-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper Spice Level: For mild 1/8, medium 1/4, hot 1/2
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cardamon
- 1.5 teaspoons garam masala divided
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup coconut milk full fat
- cilantro, jasmine rice, naan for serving
- In skillet, or in Instant Pot on saute mode, melt 2 tbsp butter. Add onion, 2 tsp salt, garlic, ginger, desired amount of cayenne pepper, paprika, chili powder, tumeric, cumin, cardamon, 1 tsp of garam masala, and coriander. Saute until onion is soft and spices are fragrant.
- Add crushed tomatoes to onion mixture and use immersion blender to blend. Or, transfer mix to a blender or food processor to blend.
- Return tomato mixture to Instant Pot or slow cooker. Add chicken and make sure chicken is covered with tomato mixture.
- Slow Cooker: Cook on low 6-8 hours or high 4-5. Instant Pot: Cook on high for 10 minutes and let natural release for 10 minutes.
- After chicken and sauce have cooked, cut remaining 2 tbsp of butter into cubes and stir in sauce until melted. Stir in coconut milk, remaining 1/2 tsp salt and remaining 1/2 tsp of garam masala.
- Serve over rice and/or with naan. Garnish with cilantro.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
Enjoy this Chicken Tikka Masala? You’ll probably enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes: