This Instant Pot Bacon Corn Soup is creamy, full of flavor, and easy to make in an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker!
Soup for Friends
I mentioned in my Pavlova post that we had friends over for dinner on New Year’s Eve. My husband and I split up the cooking, and I took charge of the appetizers. I wanted a soup that was creamy, but didn’t have dairy, and had some protein, but wasn’t so filling that our friends wouldn’t have room for the main course.
A few hours before dinner, we got a clog in our plumbing, and had to have a plumber come fix it. Being out of a sink for a couple hours, it put a time crunch on the dinner preparations. So what do I do in a time crunch: I use my Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Bacon Corn Soup
I made a version of this Instant Pot Bacon Corn Soup that night, and it was a big hit! It hit the mark with being creamy and delicious, without being overly filling. I tweaked it a couple of more times to develop this delicious, final version.
This soup is pretty straight forward, but here are a few tips to help ensure success!
- Cooking bacon in the Instant Pot makes for easy clean up, but you can end up with a burn notice. To avoid this, I use wine to deglaze the bottom of the pot. Another option is to simply transfer the soup to a different pot before serving (I have two inner pots for this purpose).
- To help make the soup creamier, I used an immersion blender. However, I like some chunks, so I left a few. You can do it however you want!
- Eggs are one of my favorite ways to thicken a soup. I love the taste and texture that they add. However, you need to be careful when using them or you’ll end up with little cooked egg everywhere. To avoid this, you need to make sure that when you pour the soup into the egg mixture, you’re doing it VERY slowly and whisking constantly. And when you pour the eggs back into the pot, you should make sure that the soup has had a few minutes to cool, and that you again whisk constantly.
Instant Pot Bacon Corn Soup
- 6 slices maple bacon about 6 ounces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 1 large carrot cut into small slices
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1 tbsp garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup cooking wine
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1.5 cups frozen potato cubes
- 1.5 cups frozen corn
- 3 large eggs
- Cut bacon into small, bite size pieces. Turn Instant Pot to saute mode. Once hot, add bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until bacon is crispy, about 6-7 minutes (time will vary depending on thickness of your bacon and desired amount of crispiness). Remove bacon from pot and set aside.
- Add 2 tbsp of olive oil to pot. Once hot, add onion, carrot, and celery, Saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, 30-60 seconds.
- Add cooking wine and stir, using spoon to get up any burned pieces on bottom of pot, until smell of alcohol is gone. Turn pot off.
- Add chicken broth, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, potato cubes, and corn. Stir. Cook on high pressure for 7 minutes and let natural release for 10 minutes.
- Turn Instant Pot off. Let soup cool, with lid off, for about 2 minutes. Then, use immersion blender to blend until desired consistency is reached (I prefer some chunks). Remove about 1 cup of soup and set aside to cool for 3-4 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the three eggs. Very slowly, while continuously whisking, pour in the cup of cooled soup. Then, very slowly, while continuously whisking, pour the egg/soup mixture back into the pot.
- Finally, stir in cooked bacon. Serve warm. Top with green onions and cheddar cheese if desired.
If you enjoyed this Instant Pot Bacon Corn Soup, you might enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes:
Links to items used to make this recipe: