Chocolate Zucchini Donuts. Delicious, amazing chocolate donuts with a chocolate frosting. The best way ever to have vegetables for breakfast.
Today is day three of zucchini week on the blog, and it’s a good day, because today is chocolate zucchini donut day! Looking at the photo above, you’d never guess there was a vegetable in there. And tasting it, I still don’t think you’ll know!
My three and a half year old really likes donuts. One of his favorite things is going to Dunkin Donuts with either me or my husband, and picking out a donut to eat. We come up with special reasons to go every week or two. Not terribly often, but I have thought a number of times that I should start making ‘healthier’ donuts at home for him.
Last year my mother-in-law gave me some neat donut pans that work really well for making homemade donuts. The other day I was getting something out of the cabinet near them, and thought, “I need to use these again soon.” Then, as I was brainstorming ways to use up some of our zucchini, I realized I could turn my chocolate zucchini bread recipe into donuts.
It was a brilliant idea because one, they turned out amazing. And two, both my kids ate them up without even realizing they were eating green veggies. These donuts are seriously delicious and addictive.
Chocolate Zucchini Donuts
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut or vegetable oil
- sprinkles for decor
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray donut pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together cocoa powder, sugar, brown sugar, zucchini, coconut flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Next, stir in vanilla, oil, and eggs. Stir until well combined.
- Fill prepared donut pan slots two-thirds of the way full.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until tops start to brown. The tops will not be pretty, don't worry as when you flip them out of the pan, the other side will be beautiful.
- Let cool completely before removing from pan.
- Place semi-sweet chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 30 second increments, stirring after each increment, until chocolate is smooth. Then, stir in coconut or vegetable oil.
- Dip smooth side of donuts in chocolate and spread sprinkles over wet chocolate if desired.
- Let chocolate top cool and harden at least 2 hours before transferring to air tight container for storing.
If you enjoyed these Chocolate Zucchini Donuts, you’ll probably enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes: