Korean Beef Bowl. Tender, spicy beef in a delicious sauce served over vegetables and rice.
My friend Hannah is a dietician, and an amazing cook. I think those things just go hand in hand. Whenever she invites me to hang out, she always cooks me a delicious dinner. Last time I was at her place, she made me her version Korean beef bowls. They were amazing.
I have made Korean beef bowls a good number of times in the past, but I adored the way Hannah cooked the beef. It was tender and juicy. So, I decide to poach her beef cooking ways, combine it with some of my favorite beef bowl variations, and make this. It was a success.
The whole family liked these beef bowls. See that sweet little hand reaching for some beef? That was not staged. That was a hungry one year old who liked what she tasted!
Korean Beef Bowl
- 1.5 pounds thinly sliced beef I use stir fry beef
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger grated
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 6 ounces green beans
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 cups Jasmine rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Gochujang sauce
- scallions chopped
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Place beef in bowl and let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown each individual piece of beef for about 30 seconds a side. Remove each piece of beef as it cooks and return cooked beef to the marinade bowl.
- Once beef has finished, add chopped onion to skillet. Cook until softened about 5 minutes.
- Add beef and marinade back to skillet. Turn to low and cover. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Fill a medium sized bowl with water and ice. Set aside.
- Bring about 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium sized pot. Add carrots and green beans. Boil for 3 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer vegetables to the prepared ice water.
- Let vegetables cool, then use slotted spoon to transfer to another bowl.
- Combine vinegar, sesame oil, and brown sugar. Pour over vegetables and toss well.
- Bring 3 cups of water and salt to a boil. Stir in rice and cover. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed.
- Serve beef with sauce over rice. Top with scallions and Gochujang sauce.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
Enjoy these Korean Beef Bowls? You might also enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes: