Jamaican Beef Patties. Curry spiced dough filled with deliciously seasoned beef and vegetables, baked to a perfect crisp.
I mentioned in the Jamaican Curry Chicken and Coconut Rice (Instant Pot) post that my husband and I went to Jamaica for our honeymoon, and we loved it so much that we’ve been back every other year since. It’s a beautiful island, the people are friendly, and the food is delicious.
I’ll be honest, we’ve been to the same brand of resort each time we’ve been to Jamaica, so my Jamaican experience is primarily based on that resort. At the resort we went to the last couple of trips, they have a great little lunch restaurant on the beach. The restaurant serves Jamaican food, and they have delicious Jamaican beef patties. I liked the patties so much that I had them at least twice the last time we were there.
Jamaican Beef Patties
I’ve had Jamaica on my mind recently, and have wanted to recreate some Jamaican tastes in my kitchen. We were last there in January, which is the last time I have eaten authentic Jamaican food, so I can’t say for sure that these Jamaican beef patties taste exactly like the ones we ate there, but I can say that they are pretty darn tasty. Everyone in my family loved them!
Jamaican Beef Patties
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 onion diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeds removed and diced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 green pepper diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons all spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 3 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- green onions for serving
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together the flour, salt, and curry powder. Cut the butter into ~1/3 tbsp slices and use a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in water, 1 tbsp at a time, until a soft dough forms. Form dough into a ball and cover in plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add ground beef and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Brown for 3 to 4 minutes. Then, add onion, jalapeno, garlic, and green pepper. Continue cooking until beef is cooked through and onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add all spice, thyme, ketchup, worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, tumeric, beef broth, and 1/2 cup water. Stir until well combined. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in bread crumbs.
Assembly and Baking
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 egg and 1/2 tbsp water. Set aside.
- Flour a working surface and roll dough until ~1/16" thickness or thinner. Cut out 5" round circles (will make about 18 rounds).
- Fill each round with ~2 tbsp beef mixture. Fold circle in half and seal edges by pressing with your fingers or using a fork.
- Place each filled pastry on baking sheet and brush tops lightly with egg wash.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes, or until tops are golden brown. Serve warm with green onions.
If you enjoyed these Jamaican Beef Patties, you should check out these other SugarSpicesLife recipes: