Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup. Creamy, butternut squash soup spiced with nutmeg and cinnamon, and filled with apple chicken sausage. Made with coconut milk to be extra tasty and dairy free!
Fall is hands down my favorite season. I love the cool crisp weather, wearing sweatshirts, snuggling, drinking hot chocolate, apple picking, and eating all the delicious food that comes with the season. Especially butternut squash.
If I had it my way, I’d eat butternut squash multiple times a week. However, my husband doesn’t care for butternut squash, and since I don’t want to make multiple meals, I tend to shy away from using it. But recently, I found an excuse to cook with some!
This last week, my son asked for lasagna. There’s not much I enjoy more than making the people I love things they like to eat, so I was wanted to make it for him. Plus, my daughter can just about eat her weight in lasagna. She is only one and a half years old, but eats two to three times as much as my three and half year old son when it comes to pasta.
Lasagna is Not for Me
I was pumped to make the lasagna for my family, but there was no chance I was going to eat it. Dairy in that quantity makes me miserable. So, I saw an opportunity: make something with butternut squash and have it all to myself. It was a win-win.
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
I wanted to make the soup in my Instant Pot to make it easier. I did some butternut squash soup recipe research of sorts. I read multiple recipes about how to make it. Since my lasagna was in the oven, I didn’t want to roast the butternut squash, but wanted the roasted flavor. I read in The Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cookbook to use a bit of baking soda to get the roasted flavor without the actual roasting. Brilliant.
Since I wanted the Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup as a main meal, I put in some chicken sausage. And since apples go well with butternut squash, I used apple flavored chicken sausage. Finally, to get a creamy flavor without cream, I mixed in some coconut milk.
This Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup is everything I had hoped for and want in a soup. Creamy, filling, healthy, easy to make, and delicious!
Instant Pot Apple Chicken Sausage and Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 12 ounces apple chicken sausage casings removed
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 16 ounces of peeled and diced butternut squash
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp coconut milk
- Turn Instant Pot to saute mode and heat 1 tbsp olive oil. Add chicken and saute until browned, using spoon to break into crumbles as you are sauteing. Remove chicken from pot and set aside.
- Add remaining tbsp of olive oil to pot with onion. Saute until onion begins to soften, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute for another 30-60 seconds. Turn Instant Pot off.
- Add butternut squash, chicken broth, baking soda, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cinnamon. Stir. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes and let natural release for 10 minutes.
- Use immersion blender to blend soup until smooth. Stir chicken and 3/4 cups coconut milk into soup. Simmer on saute mode for 4-5 minutes. For serving, top with about a teaspoon of coconut milk.
If you enjoyed this Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup, you might also enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes:
This is the Instant Pot I own and used for this recipe.