Chicken cooked in Kinder’s® Tequila Lime Rub, mixed with salsa verde, beans, and cheese, and baked in a corn tortilla. These Tequila Lime Chicken Taquitos are a healthier, delicious spin on taquitos!
Last week I did a sponsored post for Kinder’s Seasonings, Air Fried Buttery Steakhouse Potatoes. For that post I used Kinder’s Butter Steakhouse Rub. My family and I enjoyed that recipe so much, that I decided to start using some of the company’s other spice blends.
Since the spices are easy to find at Walmart, I decided it was only appropriate to share another couple of recipes using Kinder’s Seasonings. This post is not sponsored at all, I just really enjoy their seasonings, think they are reasonably priced, and have heard positive feedback from friends regarding their spices as well.
Tequila Lime Chicken Taquitos
Cooking the Chicken
For this recipe, I cooked chicken breasts in an Instant Pot since it’s so quick and easy. However, the chicken can also be cooked in a traditional slow cooker.
I personally prefer boneless, skinless chicken breasts for these taquitos, but boneless, skinless chicken thighs also work well.
I used the Kinder’s Tequila Lime Rub for this recipe. It is so flavorful that except for a little more salt and pepper, I don’t use any other seasonings for the filling. No one is sad about only needing one seasoning jar to get great flavor.
In the ingredients for this recipe, I simply list salsa verde. You can make your own, or used a store-bought jarred variety.
I LOVE a good homemade salsa verde. In fact, I will be sharing my personal salsa verde recipe in the next day or two! If running short on time, used the jarred. But, if you have the time, make your own. Totally worth it.
Rolling and Baking
Corn tortillas are NOT the easiest thing to work with. Let me give you a few tips to help prevent them from breaking:
- I recommend using a brand name corn tortilla. I have found, in general, I have better success with the brand names than with store brands.
- Heat the tortillas in groups of 4-5. Do not skip this step. If they are not warm, they will break.
- Do not pack the tortillas too tightly onto the baking sheet. When they are squeezed together, they are more likely to break. The tortillas are fine to touch each other, but they should not be squishing each other.
These Tequila Lime Chicken Taquitos can be served plain, with cheese, sour cream, salsa verde, tomato salsa, cilantro, or whatever else your heart desires!
These Tequila Lime Chicken Taquitos do not take much time to put together, and are a delicious dinner the whole family can enjoy!
Tequila Lime Chicken Taquitos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2.5 tablespoons Kinder's Tequila Lime Rub divided
- 14.5 ounce can black beans
- 1/2 cup salsa verde homemade or jarred, plus more for serving
- 1 cup mixed Mexican cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- black pepper to taste
- 30 small corn tortillas
- Heat oil in a large pan (or use Instant Pot on saute mode). Add onion and saute until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat or turn off Instant Pot. Add black beans, salsa verde, and 1 tablespoon Tequila Lime Rub.
- Stir together well. Add chicken.
- Instant Pot Directions: Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Let natural release for 10 minutes. Slow Cooker Directions: Cook on low for 7-8 hours, or high for 4-5 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks or an electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment on low speed. Add shredded chicken back to bean/salsa mixture.
- Stir in cheese, salt, black pepper, and an additional 1.5 tablespoons Tequila Lime Rub. Taste and add more seasonings if you need.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line large baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Work in groups of 4 to 5 corn tortillas. Place tortillas between two paper towels on a plate in the microwave. Heat for 30 seconds (this is important so that the tortillas don't break).
- Fill each of the tortillas with about 3 tablespoons of chicken mixture, and place seam side down on prepared baking sheet.
- Spray tops of tortillas with cooking spray. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until tops are golden and crispy.
- Serve with more salsa verde, red salsa, sour cream, or cilantro.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
If you enjoyed these Tequila Lime Chicken Taquitos, you might also enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes:
Baked Salsa Verde Taquitos
Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken
Garlic Beef Tacos with Cilantro Lime Sauce
Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos