Chicken marinated in a cilantro, lime sauce, then grilled, placed in a tortilla, and topped with grilled vegetables and pickled red onions. These Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos are taco perfection.
An Ugly Dinner
I really like potstickers. It’s been a while since I’ve made them, but I was in the mood to eat them tonight. I bought the ingredients for them, and my husband, being sweet and generous, offered to make them this evening.
My plan for the potstickers was to cook something inspired by a dish I saw on an episode of Guy Fieri’s Dinners, Drive-ins, and Dives. During the episode, I jotted down a couple of very non-specific notes in my phone.
Tonight, when my husband said, “Where is the recipe?”, I gave him my notes. He has never made potstickers, and has never used wonton wrappers. My notes didn’t include these details. His potstickers turned out to be quite tasty, but were one of the ugliest foods I’ve ever seen. My husband says he’s not up for making potstickers again, but since they were so good, I do plan on making them again and having them camera ready!
SugarSpicesLife Potsticker Recipes:
Tonight’s dinner was certainly outside the norm what my husband generally cooks. He’s more of a grilling guy. A couple of week ago he made Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos, and they were delicious! Everyone at our house that night, kids included, loved them.
If you’re looking for other tasty grilled recipes, check these out:
Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos
Tips for grilling chicken:
- When grilling chicken, my husband always turns the grill to 500 degrees. Once it reaches that temperature, he turns it down to 450 degrees, and places the chicken directly on the grill.
- Since you lose heat when you open the grill, by initially going above the intended temperature, you ensure that when you lose heat, you are still cooking at a temperature that is hot enough to cook the chicken quickly.
- Cut chicken breasts so that they are about 1/2 to 3/4 inches in thickness. This allows the chicken to cook through quickly, which reduces the chance of the chicken drying out.
Cilantro Lime Chicken taco topping ideas:
- Grilled vegetables (recipe below)
- Marinated red onion (recipe below)
- Blender Salsa
- Corn Salsa
Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos
- 1.5 pounds chicken breast slice in half horizontally so each piece is about 1/2 to 3/4" thick
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
- 2 cloves fresh minced garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Red Onion Topping
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- pinch sugar
- pinch salt
- salsa, cheese, sour cream, cilantro, and jalapeno for toppings
- small flour tortillas
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place chicken in medium sized bowl or container with lid.
- Mix together olive oil, lime juice, cilantro and garlic. Pour over seasoned chicken. Place lid on bowl or container and shake well to evenly coat chicken.
- Place chicken with marinade in refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Slice red onion thinly and toss with lime juice, sugar, and salt. Place in container in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Slice red pepper, green pepper and onion into thin slices. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn grill on to 500 degrees. Once grill reaches 500, turn down to 450.
- Place veggies on grilling pan and grill until tender, stirring occasionally, about 10-12 minutes.
- Place chicken directly on grill. Cook until chicken is cooked through, about 2-4 minutes per side.
- For serving, cut chicken thinly. Serve on tortillas with grilled vegetables and marinated red onions. May also top with salsa, cheese, sour cream, cilantro, jalapeno, or whatever else your heart desires!
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
If you enjoyed these Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos, you might enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes:
Links to items used to make this recipe: