Blackened Chicken. Chicken coated with a homemade blackened seasoning mix and grilled to perfection. Ideal for a sandwich, top of a salad, or just on it’s own!
During the summer there is nothing I love more than a salad with blackened chicken. I have attempted to make a blackened chicken spice mix a few times in the past, but none really did it for me … until this.
Fair warning, this blackened seasoning mix is intense. As in clear your sinuses for the rest of the day kind of intense. On its own, it’s past my personal level of spice comfort. But on a salad with some honey balsamic vinaigrette and fried onions, it is at my level of spice perfection. This is what summer is all about!
- 2 lb chicken breast
- Olive oil
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic
- Combine spices and transfer to shallow dish.
- Slice each chicken breast in half. Pat dry.
- Brush both sides of each chicken breast half with olive oil.
- Dip both sides of each half of chicken breast in spice mix.
- Heat grill to 500 degrees. Once it reaches 500 degrees, turn it down to 450 degrees (this is the trick for cooking thin chicken, cook it high and fast).
- Once grill has been turned down, put 1-2 tbsp olive oil in cast iron skillet. Place skillet on grill.
- Place chicken in skillet. Grill 3-4 minutes on each side until cooked through.
If you enjoyed this Blackened Chicken, you should check out these other SugarSpicesLife recipes: