Fresh herbs, vegetables, and farro mixed with a perfect lemony vinaigrette. This Farro Arugula Salad will take your salad game to the next level.
Dinner for Guests
I frequently check out cookbooks from the library. I’ll flip through them to get inspiration for new recipes. Or sometimes, I’ll just make a few recipes so I don’t have to think about creating and photographing anything new.
A few weeks ago my parents came to Maryland for a visit. I had several of my library cookbooks in the kitchen, and my mom flipped through a few. She found a few photos of salads that she said she wanted to try.
I wanted to do something special for my parents, so I decided to use the photos that caught my Mother’s eye as inspiration for salads to make for them.
Farro Arugula Salad
One particular photo in the cookbook included vegetables I wasn’t interested in using, and no greens. But, it did have farro, and I loved the idea of using farro in a salad.
The key to using grain(s) in any sort of salad is to dress them while still warm. This allows the grains (farro in this recipe) to absorb the dressing. But, served warm or cool, it still tastes delicious.
Cool arugula tastes delicious with the vegetables and grains in this recipe, but it does not save well. So, if you’re thinking about using this salad for leftovers, stir the arugula into individual servings just before your meal or event.
This salad uses fresh mint, oregano, dill, and parsley. I do not recommend substituting dried herbs. The fresh herbs not only add delicious flavor, but the textures blend well with the greens. Dried herbs can often give a distracting crunch.
This Farro Arugula Salad is packed with flavor, making it a star side or appetizer for your next dinner.
Farro Arugula Salad
- 1 1/4 cups dried farro cooked according to package directions
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 medium sized cucumber cut into small chunks (~1/3” cubes)
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 1 cup baby tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh dill chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh mint chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Juice of 1 medium sized lemon
- Zest of 1 medium sized lemon
- 1/2-1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2-1 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook farro according to package directions. Place in a medium sized bowl.
- In a large bowl stir together arugula, cucumber, green onions, red onion, tomatoes, feta, dill, mint, parsley, and oregano. NOTE: If you plan on using salad for leftovers, stir arugula into individual salads before serving. The arugula with dressing does not save well.
- In a small bowl, stir together olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Pour over warm farro and mix well. Taste, and add salt or pepper to taste, if needed.
- Pour farro and vinaigrette into bowl with vegetables and mix well. Again, taste, and if needed, add more salt and pepper.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
If you enjoyed this Farro Arugula Salad, you might also enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes:
Links to items used to make this recipe: