Chicken tenders coated in a perfectly seasoned breadcrumb mixture, lightly coated in oil, and air fried to have a crispy exterior and juicy interior. These Air Fried Chicken Fingers will delight the pickiest of eaters!
Since my children have been able to eat solid food, I have given them the same meals that I have prepared for my husband and myself. Somehow, it has worked out well, and for the most part, they each eat and enjoy a wide range of foods.
Every once in a while they’ll go to a friend’s house or we’ll go out to eat, and they’ll have something like mac and cheese or chicken nuggets. They are instantly upset we don’t have these types of ‘kid foods’ more often. So, I try to compromise and make these types of food, homemade, as I can.
When I make homemade chicken fingers for them, it’s generally a win for the whole family.
Air Fried Chicken Fingers
Air Fried Recipes
If you have an air fryer and are looking for other air fried recipes, here are a few of my favorites:
For this recipe, you can use purchased chicken tenders, or you can cut chicken breasts to the desired size.
I typically use chicken breasts as they’re less expensive, and I use the extra chicken for something else later on in the week.
The seasoning and breading for the chicken fingers is key. It is what makes or breaks the dish. For this recipe, I use:
- Seasoned salt
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Black pepper
- Creole or cajun seasoning
- Parmesan cheese
- Plain panko breadcrumbs
- Plain breadcrumbs
With any type of breaded, air fried or fried food, I typically add cornstarch. This helps the breading to become extra crispy.
When air frying anything with breading, it is crucial to make sure that all of the breading is coated with oil. For this recipe, I used spray olive oil. Don’t skimp on the spray!!
Another option is to pour olive oil into a bowl and dip the chicken into the oil so that all of the breading is covered in oil. You can’t go wrong either way.
These Air Fried Chicken Fingers are a flavorful, crispy dish that the whole family will love!
Air Fried Chicken Fingers
- 1.25 pounds chicken tenders or boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into long, thin pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cajun or creole seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup plain panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- olive oil or vegetable oil may use spray or bottled*
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg for about 30-60 seconds. Then, whisk in 1 tablespoon of water.
- In a second shallow bowl, whisk together seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, cajun seasoning, black pepper, parmesan cheese, cornstarch, panko breadcrumbs, and plain breadcrumbs
- Dip both sides of chicken pieces in egg mixture then shake off excess liquid. Next, dredge the chicken through the breadcrumb mixture so that entire piece of chicken is coated.
- Generously spray entire piece of chicken with olive oil or vegetable oil. *If you prefer to use bottled oil, you can put about 1/2 cup of oil into a shallow bowl and dip all sides of the chicken in the oil.
- Cook in air fryer at 390 degrees for 4-5 minutes, then flip chicken over and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
If you enjoyed these Air Fried Chicken Fingers, you might also enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes: