Soft, moist cornbread sweetened with maple syrup and honey. This Sweet Maple Cornbread is a unique and tasty twist on traditional favorite!
I am a big fan of cornbread and am always looking for a new twist. A friend of my husband works at a local outdoor BBQ restaurant, so we get meals fairly frequently from him in the warmer months.
My favorite thing on the menu of the BBQ restaurant is their cornbread. It’s moist, sweet, and all around perfect.
For a couple of years I’ve been trying to recreate their cornbread. That was actually the inspiration for this recipe.
This cornbread did not turn out exactly like the one I was trying to recreate, but became its own delicious version!
If you’re looking for more cornbread recipes, check out these:
Sweet Maple Cornbread
This is a sweet cornbread. It’s not so sweet that you’ll think you’re eating dessert, but it does have a noticeable sweetness. If you aren’t into sweet cornbread, this recipe is probably not for you.
It is sweetened with honey and maple syrup. Make sure you are using pure maple syrup, and NOT pancake syrup. Just for fun, I tried making this cornbread with pancake syrup one time. Not AT All the same.
Mixing Cornbread Batter
One of the most important things for making this cornbread is to NOT OVERMIX the batter. Stir with a spoon, not a mixer, until the ingredients are just moistened and combined.
Have a few lumps? That’s fine! Great actually! If you stir too much, you may end up with a tough cornbread.
Another important thing to do when making this cornbread is to watch it closely in the oven.
I moved houses about a year ago. My old house had one electric oven and my new house has two electric ovens. All three ovens seem to cook completely differently. So, that is why I give a range of times for baking.
Watch the bread in the oven. When the top of the is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan comes out clean or with just a few crumbs, it’s time to take it out of the oven.
This Sweet Maple Cornbread is a moist, sweetened cornbread that is a wonderful accompaniment for many meals!
Sweet Maple Cornbread
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease sides and bottom of a 9×9 baking pan with butter.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined.
- Using a second small bowl, stir together buttermilk, honey, maple syrup and butter until well combined. Then, stir in eggs until barely combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into bowl with dry ingredients. Stir with a spoon until just combined (a few clumps will remain, do NOT overmix).
- Transfer batter to prepared baking pan. Bake until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan comes out clean or with just a few crumbs, about 22-26 minutes.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
If you enjoyed this Sweet Maple Cornbread, you may also enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes: