Mild Blackened Skillet Chicken. Flavorful, delicious blackened chicken seared in a skillet and baked in the oven. Mild on spice so perfect for kids!
I really like blackened chicken. Two of my favorite restaurants earned their places in my heart based on their blackened chicken. Given that I have two tiny kids, my days of going out to eat are few and far between. So, that means I get to make it at home!
Grilled Blackened Chicken
In the summer, my husband will often make blackened chicken in a skillet on the grill. I have a recipe from when I first started this blog. The pictures are ‘eh’, but the taste is great. Although it brings the spice! It is not for the spice sensitive. Or for my kids.
Mild Blackened Skillet Chicken
Since it’s currently winter, and I live in the northeast, grilling chicken isn’t a great option. So, my husband used a cast iron skillet to blacked the chicken on the stove top, and then we finished it in the oven.
My kids are sensitive when it comes to spice, so I wanted to make the blackened chicken on the mild side. But, I wanted to make sure it had great flavor. It took a few tries but the spice blend for this mild blackened skillet chicken was exactly what I wanted. It was mild enough for my kids, but flavorful enough for my husband and I to love too!
This mild blackened skillet chicken is quick and easy to make without sacrificing taste. The perfect meal for a time crunched night!
4/28/2019: Updated with a few new photos!
Mild Blackened Skillet Chicken
- 1.5 pound chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9×13 or similar sized baking pan with aluminum foil
- Slice chicken breasts in half, or use mat mallet to pound chicken, so that each breast is about 1/2″ thick, You will likely use 2 breasts and end up with 4 pieces.
- In a small bowl, stir together all 13 spices.
- Evenly all sides of the chicken with the spice mixture. You will not likely use all of the spice mixture.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in cast iron skillet over medium-high heat on stove top. Place chicken in skillet. Cook for about 1 minute on each side. Then remove chicken from skillet and place in prepared baking pan.
- Bake until chicken is cooked through and pink no longer remains. About 7 minutes depending on the thickness of the breasts. I would recommend checking after 5 minutes, especially if the breasts are a bit thinner than 1/2″.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
If you enjoyed this Mild Blackened Skillet Chicken, you may enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes:
Bacon Chicken Cordon Bleu
Instant Pot Chicken and Buttermilk Dumplings
Oven Fried Chicken
Apple Stuffed Chicken with Sage Sauce
Link to item used to make this recipe:
Really, really great chicken!! I doubled the spice recipe and used thin-sliced chicken cutlets. Thirteen spices seemed excessive, but it was worth it (I actually did not include the cayenne pepper and white pepper as I did not have any. I also subbed poultry seasoning for the marjoram). They cooked up fast and were absolutely delicious! Great with roasted potatoes and corn, and even better on my Caesar salad for lunch!
I’m so glad you enjoyed it! And great idea for the salad!