Mini sweet peppers filled with a chive onion cream cheese, then wrapped in bacon. Cooked in an oven, air fryer, or smoker, these Sweet Pepper Poppers are a perfect appetizer, side or snack!
I believe I mentioned in a previous post that my husband recently began to eat keto. In my quest to support his eating goals, I have begun to add keto friendly dishes to my family’s meal rotations.
And I need to be clear here: I don’t actually know that these are acceptable on anyone else’s keto diet. Basically, I googled keto friendly foods one day, and saved a list on my phone. So, if you are strict, you will need to do your own research into the recipe.
If you are not keto, then you will still be happy with this super tasty snack.
What is a pepper popper?
This is my kid friendly answer to jalapeno poppers. My children find jalapeno poppers to be a bit too hot for them, but they will eat multiple sweet mini pepper poppers.
In the produce aisle of your grocery store, you will likely find bags of mini sweet peppers, which is what I used for this recipe. They are about the size of a jalapeno, but come in a few colors and have a mild, sweet taste.
Can you just cut up large bell peppers instead? Yes, BUT, the cream cheese will likely run out of the peppers and they do not have as sweet of a taste.
I think you’re going to like this because it couldn’t be any easier … the filling is store bought Chive and Onion Cream Cheese. Yep, already seasoned for you.
I did try making my own variety of seasoned cream cheese for the poppers, and the result: minimal difference in the taste. If on principal you want to make your own filling, there is a good recipe for Chive and Onion Cream Cheese on Food.com.
As with jalapeno poppers, these poppers are wrapped with bacon. I prefer hickory smoked bacon, but let’s be honest, you just can’t go wrong with bacon. Pick whatever your heart desires and your store has in stock.
There are several different ways to cook these poppers:
- Oven: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and bake for 22-27 minutes, or until the bacon is browned and crispy.
- Air Fryer: Cook at 390 degrees for 10-14 minutes, or until the bacon is browned and crispy.
- Smoker: Cook at 300 degrees for about 60 minutes, or until the bacon is browned and crispy.
These Sweet Pepper Poppers are a savory treat that are perfect for an appetizer, side dish, or snack!
Sweet Pepper Poppers
- 4 ounces chive and onion cream cheese
- 10 mini sweet peppers
- 10 slices hickory smoked bacon
- Cut tops off of sweet peppers and then cut pepper in half vertically.
- Spread cream cheese into each pepper half.
- Wrap 1/2 of a slice of bacon around each pepper.
- Cooking Methods:Oven: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and bake for 22-27 minutes, or until the bacon is browned and crispy. Air Fryer: Cook at 390 degrees for 10-14 minutes, or until the bacon is browned and crispy. Smoker: Cook at 300 degrees for about 60 minutes, or until the bacon is browned and crispy.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
If you enjoyed these Sweet Pepper Poppers, you may also enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes: