Fresh and fire roasted tomatoes blended together with onion, jalapeno, and plenty of spice. This Best Blender Salsa recipe comes together in about five minutes and can rival the best of restaurant salsas!
When I first started SugarSpicesLife, I posted Restaurant Style Blender Salsa, which has consistently been a top recipe on both by my blog and in my family. We make blender salsa on a regular basis, especially during the summer.
As often as we make it, I’ve had ample opportunity to experiment and refine the recipe. Over the last few years it has morphed into this recipe, which is my current family favorite. I imagine a few years from now I’ll post, “The New Best Blender Salsa”, or something of the sort.
Best Blender Salsa
This recipe uses a mix of canned and fresh tomatoes. It uses:
- 3 cups of fresh chopped tomatoes (from about 3 medium sized tomatoes)
- Roma tomatoes and vine tomatoes both work well
- 14.5 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
This combination allows for the taste of fresh tomatoes, while also having the smokey flavor of fire roasted tomatoes, without all the work.
Many recipes for salsa that use fresh tomatoes recommended taking out the seeds/extra juice, or removing the skins. I do not find that either of these steps make a large difference in the taste or consistency of this salsa. So, save the time and use the tomatoes as is!
I experimented with various vegetable combinations and found the following worked best for my family:
- 1 jalapeno with the majority of the seeds removed
- If you prefer more spice, you can use a second jalapeno or add more seeds
- 1/4 of a medium sized white onion
- Red onion and sweet onion work too, they just add a slightly different flavor
- If you love the taste of onion, you can always add more
This salsa has a number of ingredients that give it a perfect flavor:
- Fresh minced garlic
- I used the jarred variety
- Dried Oregano
- Chili Powder
- Fresh Cilantro
- As each brand of canned tomatoes has a different amount of salt already included, and each person has a different preference, start with 1/2 teaspoon of added salt, and increase as needed
- Fresh Lime Juice
Preparing and Stiring
After you have spent the five minutes it takes to open the tomato can and spice jars, chop up the tomatoes, jalapenos, and onion, simply put all of the ingredients into a blender. Then blend away until the salsa reaches your desired consistency.
Let the salsa cool in the refrigerator for at least 2-3 hours before serving.
This Best Blender Salsa recipe comes together in about five minutes and will rival any store bought or restaurant salsa! The perfect addition for your next event.
Best Blender Salsa
- 3 cups chopped fresh tomatoes Roma or vine tomatoes, about 3 medium sized tomatoes
- 1 14.5 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 cloves fresh minced garlic
- 1 jalapeño majority of seeds removed (leave just a few seeds), and diced
- 1/4 medium sized white onion diced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 cup cilantro chopped and loosely packed
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice from about 1.5 medium sized limes
- 1/4 to 1 teaspoon salt
- Place all ingredients, except for salt, in a blender or food processor. Blend until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Add salt, about 1/4 teaspoon at a time, blending after each addition, until desired taste is reached (depending on sodium level in your canned tomatoes, and your preferences, you may not need added salt).
- If you desire a spicy salsa, add a few jalapeño seeds at a time, blending after each addition, until desired taste is reached.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
If you enjoyed this Best Blender Salsa recipe, you may also enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes:
Homemade Salsa Verde
Garlic Beef Tacos with Cilantro Lime Sauce
Quick Loaded Waffle Fries
Skillet Mexican Street Corn
Skillet Beef and Cornbread Casserole