Tandoori Chicken with Peanut Sauce. Chicken marinated in tandoori style spices, then grilled and topped with a savory peanut butter coconut milk sauce. Full of delicious flavors!
I have always been a big fan of peanut butter. When I was younger, I considered it more of a compliment to jelly and dessert. Slap it on some bread or put it with some chocolate, and pretty much everyone is happy. If you follow this blog, you’ve heard me talk about how moving to Boston changed my food horizons. It wasn’t just the diversity of the restaurants, but the diversity in food backgrounds of my friends.
In optometry school, a friend of mine’s parents were from Vietnam. She had learned much of her cooking from her mother, so she incorporated flavors into her meals that were entirely new to me. One of her recipes was for a peanut dipping sauce. The sauce included peanut butter, sesame oil, and hoisin sauce. Before that sauce, I had never thought about using peanut butter for a main dish, much less making it a little spicy. It actually changed my life. I started using peanut butter in all kinds of new ways. Hence this tandoori chicken with peanut sauce recipe.
I’m sure one of you savvy readers is thinking, “this isn’t actually tandoori chicken.” Correct. I didn’t cook it in a tandoor or color it red. But the spices are along the same line. And it’s tasty, like tandoori chicken, which is all anyone really cares about.
This recipe is quick. It needs to marinate for a couple of hours, but the amount of time requiring effort is minimal. You can purchase naan to use, or make your own! For this recipe, I made my own. That is another delicious recipe that will be posted soon … maybe tomorrow. But in the mean time, you should still try out this delicious tandoori chicken with peanut sauce ASAP.
Tandoori Chicken with Peanut Sauce
- 1.5 pounds chicken breast sliced or beaten to be ~3/4" thick
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon tumeric
- 1 /8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- pinch salt
- chopped red onion
- chopped cucumber
- chopped cilantro
- In a large bowl with lid or sealable bag, mix together Greek yogurt, lime juice, olive oil, coriander, cumin, tumeric, cayenne, salt, pepper, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add chicken to bag and shake or stir until chicken is evenly coated with sauce. Cover bowl or seal bag and place in refrigerator at least 3 hours.
- Heat grill to 500 degrees. Once it reaches 500, reduce to 450 and place chicken directly on grill. Cook about 3 minutes per side, until chicken is cooked through.
- Stir together all of the ingredients for the peanut sauce until smooth and well combined. Let sit in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces. Place on nann. Top with red onion, cucumber, cilantro and peanut sauce.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
If you enjoyed this Tandoori Chicken with Peanut Sauce you should check out these other SugarSpicesLife recipes: