Honey Roasted Carrots. Carrots roasted with a honey butter glaze, fresh herbs, and shallots. Soft, sweet, and delicious!
Recently I made a dish that contained baked carrots. I don’t remember the dish, or how I cooked them, but I remember that my four year old son said, “mom, I really like these soft carrots!” When I heard my child get excited about a vegetable, I pulled a total mom move and starting thinking of ways I could incorporate carrots into every dinner.
The first time I made this recipe, I used a wide variety of carrot sizes. It was like the three bears: the big ones were too hard, the small ones were too soft, and the middle ones were just right. So, I now have two tricks you can use to avoid this happening to you.
Trick one: cut the larger carrots in half length wise so that they’re a similar size thickness as the small and medium carrots. Trick two: arrange your carrots by size on the baking pan so that you can pull the smaller ones out a bit earlier than the larger ones.
Since trick two means you’ll have half your carrots cooling earlier than desired, I recommend trick one. Unless you’re into carrot dish aesthetics, and in that case use trick two.
Honey Roasted Carrots
It took a couple tweaks, but these honey roasted carrots are my perfect combination of sweet and savory. They’re sweet enough for a toddler to love, but not so sweet that you feel they need to be served for dessert.
These honey roasted carrots are not difficult to make. Getting them cooked evenly is the most difficult part, and we’ve already discussed how to do that! Remember that they’re a bit time consuming in the oven, so you need to plan accordingly.
As a side note, I did make this recipe in my toaster oven, and they turned out just as well as they did in my regular oven! So if you need the oven space and have a toaster oven, you can keep that in mind.
Honey Roasted Carrots
- 1.5 pounds carrots ~12 carrots
- 3 tbsp butter divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium sized shallot diced into rings
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet (9×11 or larger) with aluminum foil.
- Peel carrots and place carrots on baking sheet. If any of the carrots are very thick, meaning about 2x the size of some of the other carrots, cut them in half length wise. Place peeled carrots on baking sheet.
- Melt 1 tbsp of butter and brush over carrots. Sprinkle kosher salt and pepper evenly over carrots. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While carrots are baking, in a small pot over medium heat, melt remaining 2 tbsp of butter and honey. Stir constantly until both are melted. Then, add garlic, shallot, thyme, parsley, and rosemary. Let simmer for 2 minutes, then remove from heat and set aside.
- After carrots are done with the initial 20 minutes, remove from oven and stir with a spatula. Sprinkle butter/shallot mixture evenly over carrots. Return to oven and cook for an additional 20 minutes, or until carrots are softened.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
If you enjoyed these Honey Roasted Carrots, you might also want to check out these other SugarSpicesLife recipes:
Items used to make this recipe: