These Cadbury Mini Egg Cupcakes are soft vanilla cupcakes with bits of candy eggs, a chocolate ganache filling, vanilla buttercream frosting, and a Cadbury egg topping.
I LOVE Cadbury mini eggs. The minute they show up in gas stations or grocery stores, I start buying them and hiding bags in my car and around the house. And the day after Easter, I stock up on them in the clearance isle. Last year I bought five bags on clearance, and then I hid them in my closet so I wouldn’t have to share …. I’m a terrible mom. But, my kids found them, so I did share, and together we ate every last egg.
My husband understands the way to my heart is through dessert. So, he frequently brings me tasty treats. A few weeks ago while I was working, he and my kids went to WalMart to pick up a couple of things. My husband thought it would be sweet to get me some Cadbury mini eggs. He asked my son if they should get me one or two bags, and my son said two. They both love me.
Cadbury Mini Egg Cupcakes
Popping handfuls of candy eggs into my mouth makes me happy, but I wanted to do something a little different with them too. We were having some friends over for dinner last week, so I decided to use the eggs for cupcakes.
I started with a soft vanilla cake, and mixed in bits of chopped mini eggs. Next, I filled them with chocolate ganache and topped them with buttercream. To top it off, I sprinkled chopped eggs on top. They were PERFECTION.
Cadbury Mini Egg Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup Cadburry mini eggs chopped
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- pinch salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp heavy whipping cream or milk
- ~3tbsp Cadburry mini eggs chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with liners.
- In base of a stand mixer, use paddle attachment to beat sugar and butter together until lightened and fluffy, about two minutes. Then, beat in vanilla.
- Mix in eggs, one at a time, scraping down sides as needed.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Alternate beating in flour mixture and buttermilk, starting and ending with flour mixture (this will take about 3 additions of flour and 2 additions of buttermilk).
- Fold in sour cream until well incorporated. Stir in chopped mini eggs.
- Use batter to fill prepared cupcake pans 2/3 full (this recipe makes~ 18 standard sized cupcakes).
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into a center cupcake comes out with just a few crumbs.
- Let cupcakes cool completely before filling and frosting.
- Use cupcake corer to remove center of each cupcake to about 1″ depth.
- Place chocolate chips in a heat safe bowl. Place whipping cream in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high heat until boiling, about 45 seconds.
- Pour whipping cream over chocolate chips. Cover dish with plastic wrap and let sit for 5 minutes. Remove plastic wrap and whisk until smooth. Let sit for another 3-5 minutes, or until chocolate begins to firm just a bit.
- Use a spoon, or a squeeze bottle, to fill inside of each cupcake with the ganache. If the ganache becomes too hard while you are filling the cupcakes, reheat in the microwave in 10 second intervals, stirring well after each interval, until it becomes desired consistency.
- In base of a stand mixer, use paddle attachment to beat butter and shortening until lightened in color, about 2 minutes. Next beat in salt.
- Alternate beating in powdered sugar and whipping cream. I recommend 1/2 cup powdered sugar at a time, scraping down the sides as a needed, and after 1 cup has been incorporated, mix in 1 tbsp of the whipping cream.
- Pipe onto cupcakes as desired. Sprinkle chopped Cadbury eggs over the top of the cupcakes.
If you enjoyed these Cadbury Mini Egg Cupcakes, you might enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes:
Links to items used to make these Cadbury Mini Egg Cupcakes: