These Oven Baked Rosemary Fries are crispy and delicious enough to rival their deep fried counter-parts, while being less messy to make and much healthier to eat!
I first made and photographed these fries over six months ago. Initially I just didn’t like the photos, so I never got around to posting them. Each time I was deciding what recipe to post for the day, I looked at the photos and thought, “nah, I’ll take new photographs next time.”
Then something happened. I took an online photo editing course called Lightroom Magic. I went to back to those photos from the fall and edited them again. HUGE improvement. Although I will likely retake the photos one day in the future, the fries now appear tasty as opposed to green and blue.
All the Fries
My family is a french fry family. We all really like them. As I’m writing this though, I’m thinking that most families fall into that category because fries are just delicious.
I have made french fries that are deep fried, baked, and recently, air fried. The air fried version is new as I just got an air fryer toaster oven this week. I’m still experimenting with it, but I plan on posting some tasty tips in the near future once I get the hang of it.
In any case, the point of all that is to say that these particular baked fries go over just as well as fried french fries at my house. And that is saying something.
Oven Baked Rosemary Fries
Here are a few notes and tips to help ensure crispy success when making these Oven Baked Rosemary Fries:
- Cut the fries thin. I recommended about about 1/3″ diameter. If you cut them too thick, they may be too soft in the middle.
- Do not skip soaking the fries in the salt water before baking them. This step helps the fries crisp. I am never exact with the amount of water and salt. I fill a big bowl with water and add a few shakes of salt, around a teaspoon per gallon of water.
- When baking the fries, try to keep the fries from touching each other and make sure to use a baking rack. This helps ensure that all of the fries bake evenly.
Oven Baked Rosemary Fries
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped finely
- Scrub and wash potatoes. Cut potatoes into ~1/3 to 1/2 inch sized strips. Transfer strips to a large bowl of salted water and let sit for 15-20 minutes. Drain potatoes and transfer to paper towels to dry for about 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line two large baking sheets with aluminum foil or silicone baking mats (this makes for easier clean up). Place an oven safe baking rack on top of each baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, mix together olive oil, salt, garlic, and rosemary. Add potatoes and toss until potatoes are evenly coated.
- Place potatoes on rack so that strips are not touching each other. Bake for 40 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
If you enjoyed these Oven Baked Rosemary Fries, you might also enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes:
Links to items used to make this recipe: