These carrots are roasted whole with a honey lime sauce until they’re perfectly tender, and then topped with cheese, green onions, and cilantro. They taste like a carrot version of Mexican street corn.
My son recently turned four years old and has started to object to multiple vegetables. No rhyme or reason, he just says things like, “I don’t like that green thing” even though he’s never tasted said green thing before. Eventually he comes around to tasting everything, but it’s a battle.
So with that said, if he likes a vegetable, I’m all about making it. The fewer dinner time arguments, the better. A few months ago I made Honey Roasted Carrots, and my son loved them. He told me multiple times about how much he liked “those soft carrots.” So obviously I have felt the need to include soft carrots into meals on a regular basis.
Honey Lime Roasted Carrots
I saw a photo of some sort of lime carrot situation on Pinterest, and it got me thinking about how much I like honey roasted carrots, and how much I like my Skillet Mexican Street Corn. So the obvious next step was to combine them in a perfect side dish.
I took my favorite parts from each recipe and combined them to make these delicious honey lime roasted carrots. The night I made these I had a few bites and told my husband I thought they were awesome. He said, “yeah, they’re good, but I think I prefer the plain honey ones.” My son pulled my ear down to whisper to me and said, “Mom, I think these are the best soft carrots ever.” Win. And I agree.
These are a quick and easy side for almost any meal, and will certainly impress. Here are a few tips for this recipe:
- If you have very thick carrots, say larger than 1.5″ in diameter, cut the thickest ones in half length wise so they’ll roast more evenly.
- For this recipe I used feta cheese, but goat cheese or Cotija also work.
- Honey is a mess to clean up after it bakes. Make sure you line your baking dish with aluminum foil or a silicone mat.
Honey Lime Roasted Carrots
- 1 pound large carrots, peeled about 8 carrots
- 5 tbsp butter divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tbsp honey
- juice of 1 lime
- zest of 1 lime
- 2 cloves fresh minced garlic
- green onions for topping
- chopped cilantro for topping
- feta cheese for topping see notes above
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place carrots in single layer on baking sheet. Melt 3 tbsp of butter and brush over tops of carrots. Sprinkle salt evenly over carrots. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While carrots are roasting, melt remaining 2 tbsp of butter and the honey in a small sauce pan over medium mead. Once melted, stir in juice of lime, zest of lime, and garlic. Bring to a gentle simmer and allow to simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- When carrots are done with initial 20 minutes of baking, remove from oven. Toss carrots with a spatula. Pour honey mixture evenly over carrots.
- Return carrots to oven and cook for an additional 20-30 minutes, or until carrots are tender even at their thickest part. Note: time will vary depending on the thickness of your carrots.
- Serve warm. Top with green onions, cilantro, and feta cheese as desired.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
If you enjoyed these Honey Lime Roasted Carrots, you’ll probably enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes:
Links to items used to make this recipe: