This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #FALLInLoveWithHatfield, #REdiscover #simplyhatfield #CollectiveBias #Ad
Hatfield® Chorizo sautéd with vegetables, folded into a homemade pastry and baked until perfectly crisp. These Hatfield® Chorizo Empanadas are easy to make and full of delicious flavor.
Fall Dinners with Friends
When I met my husband, Matt, I had recently moved to Maryland and only knew a hand-full of people. He on the other hand had lived in Maryland most of his life, and had a huge group of close friends. When I married Matt, I basically got to marry his friends too.
I’ve been a part of this group of friends for 9 years now. That’s time enough to have some serious history together and feel comfortable around each other. Now that most all of us have kids, things are certainly different than they used to be – but not in a bad way. It mostly means we eat distracted dinners together at early hours.
A Quick, Easy Dinner
Matt and I are known among our friends for regularly making delicious, homemade meals. I take serious pride in upholding that reputation. This past Sunday we invited our friends Mark and Kelly, and their kids over for dinner. We invited them around 2:00pm, and they said, “sure, we can be there at 5!”
I needed to make something that was quick, but also wanted it to be delicious and give us all some fall feels. Last week I had found Hatfield® Recipe Essentials Chorizo Ground Sausage at Giant in Hanover, PA, and knew the move would be to use it to make a delicious empanada filling.
Hatfield® Recipe Essentials Chorizo Ground Sausage
I sautéd the chorizo with some vegetables, and tasted it. I had expected to need some herbs or seasoning. Wrong. The Chorizo was so flavorful and delicious, I hardly needed to add a thing to it!
I then choose to make a homemade pastry crust since it’s easy, and I like to add a little bit of spice to my crust. Next, I decided to bake the empanadas since it’s healthier than frying, and also less messy to clean up.
Hatfield® Chorizo Empanadas
These Hatfield® Chorizo Empanadas were a huge success. I was able to make the filling in under thirty minutes and everyone was impressed with the taste. All of us, including our combined four children, ate and loved them.
This recipe is easy to make, but I have a few tips to help ensure success:
- Don’t substitute a different chorizo. Yes, this is a sponsored post, but no I don’t have to say that. I have had purchased plenty of other chorizos, and they don’t have near as much flavor as the Hatfield® Recipe Essentials. Find the closest Hatfield® retailer here.
- If you don’t have the time or desire to make homemade pastry dough, you can substitute pre-made refrigerated pie crust. As this recipe makes a large amount of filling, you will likely need around three 16″ pie crusts.
- To seal the empanadas you can use a fork or an empanada press. You can get a press for under $10 and I think it makes the process much quicker.
- These empanadas are great on their own so the dipping sauce isn’t a must, but I love some spicy chorizo with lime sour cream, so I highly recommend it.
Hatfield® Chorizo Empanadas
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 cup unsalted butter 2 sticks
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup plus 3 tbsp water
- 16 ounce package Hatfield® Recipe Essentials Chorizo Ground Sausage
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion diced (about ½ large onion)
- 1 medium green bell pepper diced
- 1 jalapeno seeds removed and diced
- 4 cloves fresh minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 3 tbsp cilantro chopped
- ½ cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1/2 tbsp water
- 1 cup sour cream
- zest of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, salt, and coriander. Use two knives or a pastry cutter to cut in butter.
- In a small bowl, stir together vinegar, beaten eggs and 1 cup of water. Gradually stir into flour mixture. If needed, add in additional water, 1 tbsp at a time, until a soft dough forms.
- Divide dough in half and form each half into a large disc that is about 1” in thickness. Wrap discs in plastic wrap in place in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add Hatfield® Recipe Essentials Chorizo Ground Sausage and sauté until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove from skillet, leaving grease in bottom of skillet.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno to skillet. Sauté until softened, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds.
- Return sausage to skillet. Add salt, pepper, tomato sauce, and chicken broth. Reduce to a low simmer and let simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in cilantro and breadcrumbs.
- Stir together all sauce ingredients. Chill in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
Assembly and Cooking
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Flour a working surface. Roll out dough until about 1/8” thickness or less. Cut out 5” circles. Fill the center of each circle with 2 tbsp filling. Use water to wet outside of dough circles. Press together and seal using an empanada press or fork. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and water. Brush tops of sealed empanadas with egg wash.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes, or until tops are golden brown.
Disclaimer: All nutritional information provided on this website is an estimate only and is not guaranteed.
If you enjoyed these Hatfield® Chorizo Empanadas, you may also enjoy these other SugarSpicesLife recipes: